Sunday, December 4, 2011

Swimming. Faster.

In my first Ironman I swam a 1:06. I figured this was somewhat decent considering that my training leading involved three swims per week including masters on Monday and Wednesday, and a straight non-stop longer swim on Thursdays. I did not have a coach. I did not really know how to swim train. So I approached it like running. And it seemed to work.

Fast forward several years later to my first year racing pro. I now had a swim coach, I was swimming way more meters, I focused on technique. I had swum several more 1:06 Ironman swim times. And I was certain I would swim closer to an hour. I swam 1:06. Again. To tell you I was frustrated is an extreme under-statement. HOURS of hard work on my swim ended up resulting in right where I had started several years previously.

If at first you do not succeed. Try, try again!

This year I've slowly moved my Ironman swim times below 59 and even 58. It has been a lot of work. I've been asked what I did different. To answer this I'd have to say nothing & everything.

Nothing in that I continued working hard, swimming masters, swimming a lot, and mostly not giving up or getting down on my swimming (or lack there-of) ability.

Everything in that I started working a lot on strength. I started swimming IM. All the strokes - I basically learned how to swim butterfly. I started using a Vasa trainer. I got a lot of help on my technique. Weekly. If you live in Southern CA and need swim technique instruction email me and I'll refer you to my swim instructor. She is good.

And if you think you will never be a good swimmer, cyclist, runner - or anything else, don't give up!! There is nothing that hard work can't fix...

8 comments:

Teresa said...

You have worked so hard for this, and I agree that you changed everything and nothing. That is a great way to put it. I know you worked hard added in new things, but also just continued to improve by getting more and more comfortable in the water. When you broke an hour I may have had a bigger smile than you! Ha! congrats and proud of you!

J. L. said...

Wow, that time improvement is so impressive! And if you live in small town Idaho... Does this mean I should just focus on my run more? Ha, ha. I do like the last paragraph in your post, it may keep me going through the winter months.

Matt said...

great post, I feel like I am in a similar place for my 70.3...will have to try what worked for you.

keep up the dedicated hard work

Steve said...

I have no doubt you put in effort in all you do. Glad you are seeing some gains.

I do have to say, for me, sometimes less is more with running. That is why it is good for me to cross train, to keep the injury bug away. :)

Beth said...

So there is hope! :) Love to see your hard work pay off!

ADC said...

Hey fishy!!!

Christi said...

Great job! I am so glad to hear that hard work does indeed still pay off!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Practice makes perfect..
Now I plan on just lifting a sail and riding the current in New York.. That's my plan and I am sticking to it...