Sunday, April 17, 2011

PossAbilities Triathlon Race Report

I raced the PossAbilities sprint triathlon this morning. This race is a great community event. The number of challenged athletes that compete is awesome. The race is kid friendly (format is backwards and you swim in a pool at the end - & there are even kid distances).

I figured the race would be a great chance to test my speed. Oh and I wanted to win. Last year I got 2nd, so I figured stepping up to a win would be nice.

The race starts with a 5k run and the challenged athletes are up front. My friend Karl and I before the start (he's the tall orange Zoot guy).

Julie Ertel passed me about 1/2 mile into the run. I tried to go with her. And instead ended up with a side-stitch and feeling like I was going backwards for the next two miles. 

On to the bike and Steven told me I was 1:30 down on first place. That seemed like A LOT of time to make up in only 12 miles, but you never know unless you try. So I put my head down and rode at my most uncomfortable level. Next time check was 1:05. Then :55. Could I pull enough time back?! At least it was motivating. By the time I hopped in the pool I had cut the gap to :25.

The swim is a zig-zag pattern back and forth across the pool - something like six times. My arm (the one that is pointed in a random direction - of course) is by the end of the pool. Julie is in the closer lane. She actually put an additional :20 on me in the super short swim. Steven told me later she was flip turning while I was of course gasping for breath. And not flip-turning.

I finished 2nd, 3 minutes faster than last year. 
I was honored to chase an Olympian.

These are all the challenged athletes who competed.
So VERY inspiring.

The kids race: "Go over there, the pool is over there!"

Check out his body marking & timing chip.

Lifeguards line the kiddy pool to help the non-swimmers across.

My friend Wilma - both her kids competed.

Huge thanks to my sponsors who allow me to race so frequently!
Next up is Wildflower.

16 comments:

Teresa said...

So inspiring!! So awesome!! Way to go!

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - congrats on the AWESOME race! 3 minutes in a sprint - that is HUGE!
OMG - the kids race must have been hilarious too!

Running and living said...

Awesome job Charissa! And next year, Nr 1 is yours. You are SO close!

solarpowered said...

What a cool race! Congrats on the 3 minute improvement :)

Kiet said...

Way to pull it back in on the bike and Julie only got another 20 sec on the swim, you realize she is a damn fast swimmer.

ADC said...

That looks like an awesome and fun race. Huge congrats on an amazing result.

Christi said...

What an awesome race! Congrats on your second place finish!

The little guy is so cute!

Bob Almighty said...

Awesome race. Good Luck at Wildflower.

Libby said...

congrats! wow! what an honor to race with so many challenged athletes and to chase down julie on the bike. kiet is right, that's amazing she only got :20 seconds on you in the swim. congrats! GREAT race!!

DS said...

A 3 min PR on such a short race is extremely impressive and motivating! Its good to switch up the order every once in a while, sounds like a great spring training race to get you ready for some fast times later this season. BTW I just fell in love w/ Zoot, watch for my next gear review.

IAN said...

Seriously? That guy is sucking your wheel like there's no tomorrow! Its a wide road with nobody oneither side and he is hanging on for dear life. AWESOME!

Congrats on the 3min PR. HUGE on that short of a course!

Matt said...

congrats on the great race, the PR and biking down an Olympian! way to kill it out there!

gshiz5 said...

I am sure she was in awe of an Ironman hanging on her butt... excuse my French :) and glad there wasn't another 7 hours to go.....

Caratunk Girl said...

Sounds like so much fun! Congrats on an awesome race!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little guy with the timing chip and marking. SO CUTE.

Kim said...

Way to go Charisa! So much fun! You put up a great fight and you were dang close! Speedy you are!!

Greg said...

Congratulations on your race and being faster than last year.Best of luck at Wildflower! That is one of my all time favorite races,and a beautiful place to be for an event.