Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Perfect Run

I am always amazed how when I go on vacation most of the memories fade, but many of my runs remain vividly in my memory. A few years ago Steven and I went to Switzerland to snowboard with friends. Jetlag can have its advantages and around 5am I set out up a deserted cobblestone street in Zermatt. I ran past clustered houses, chocolate and fondue shops and banks. Many banks.

In this mountain town there was only one direction to run - up. So I set off up a ski trail, my breath creating frosty ice crystals on my hat. Before I knew it I'd reached the top of the gondola and a fork in the road. I chose a path that crossed a stream and zig-zagged across a ridge. As the sun crept over the mountain a small village appeared. It was scattered with cows complete with large bells around their necks. A man with a beard waved at me. To me this was a true picture of a foreign land.

 The town I started in is below the fog.

After a while my oxygen-depleted legs became fatigued and I turned around to fly down the trail, slipping on the snow-packed path. While running down the hill a mom with two kids on a long sled sped past me - on their way to school.

This is the gnome I saw on the way home from what has been filed away in my memory as one of the greatest runs of all time.

12 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Ced's Swiss cousin?? Did he yodel at you??

Greg said...

This is a fine story about a right now moment. A chance to run, which is always fantastic, and the opportunity to really soak up the flavor of the place you are in, etching the moment in time. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

wow gorgeous!

i will be on the look out for any of Ced's relatives on Monday!

Christi said...

That sounds like an awesome run!

Nitsirk said...

We skied in Zermatt a few years ago. I loved the town and the little paths that went up and down the mountain. I was amazed at how active everyone was. There were so many families out walking and sledding. Amazing.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love love love this post! I feel like I was there with you. What a fabulous memory.

One of the biggest benefits of finally becoming a runner are the runs I do in the cities I visit. They are the highlight of each trip.

You've inspired me to post about my Central Park run last week. Thanks!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Awe, it sounds lovely. ;)

I miss running and cycling through Germany so much. My husband and I were so lucky to have lived there, and although I felt lucky at the time, I didn't grasp just how lucky we were until we moved back to the states.

I miss the little villages sprinkled across farmland. I had a favorite route right by my house in Germany that had cows, farmland, lots of trees, horses, 500 hundred year old cottages, a cemetery, deer, rabbits, banks, markets, etc. That was all within the first 5 miles...

Kiet said...

Awesome reflective moment Charisa, and yes like you, I seldom forget my run in beautiful places I visit.

solarpowered said...

I was without my computer for a week, so I'm just catching up!

Love the running story. I have a few memorable runs, but none in such an awesome location :)

chris mcpeake said...

Nothing beats a great run.

Black Knight said...

Great post. I love Switzerland too and it is not too far from here.
I like that gnome.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

This is one of my all time favorite blogs. Thanks for sharing.