Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Right NOW

Right now is all that really matters. What you have done in the past is good knowledge. But it is past. What you plan to do in the future is something to look forward to, but it hasn't happened yet, so it's irrelevant. What you are doing right now - focus on it.

I say this because many times in races or training, we want to hurry up the moment. You might want the swim to be over so you can get on the bike and hammer. Or you might be mid-set and thinking "My legs are tired from xyz this morning" and sell yourself short in the workout.

 My track. It's sideways. Just turn your head to the right...I'm lame and can't fix it.

Yesterday I had a hard day of training. Bike intervals, a swim, and a track workout in the evening. The track workout would have been hard if it had been the only workout of the day. I found myself in the middle of the set chasing a few friends and focusing only on turning my feet over quickly. Anytime a thought of the day's previous workouts came into my head I looked down at the track and thought to myself, "Track is what we are doing right NOW, nothing else really matters." I was amazed that when I forced myself to think like this, I was a bit more relaxed and just let the legs turn over.

A "this-green-hill-is-awesome-but-my-photo-capturing-while-riding-skills-are-limited" moment captured this morning. Hope everyone's training is going well. I'm curious if anyone has any tricks for keeping focused on right NOW?

11 comments:

Beth said...

Great advice for my race this weekend!! Thanks Charisa! :)

Molly said...

Great post and I totally turned my head sideways :) I just try to remember my coach wouldn't give me something if she didn't think I could do it so just focus on doing it and stop worrying about how tired I am!

Meg said...

This reminder really hit home. It's all about focusing on that moment, not the outcome! I'm taking that insightful info. with me...THANKS!

beth said...

i like it a lot. putting that in my box of mantras.
thanks!
we need to have a "right now" workout together soon in the future... haha.

A World of Gratitude said...

Calming Breathing works wonders for focusing on Right Now!

Inhale. Hold for 2 counts. Exhale.

If you can, keep the inhalations and exhalations the same length.

I use it on a regular basis, and it worked delightfully during a particularly rocky and rooty section of a trail run this afternoon.

Another trick: find a simple (one-to-three word) mantra that works for you. Love and Thank You are two of my favorite.

If the mind wanders, back to "thank you" ... for whatever activity ongoing, for the trees blooming, for the squirrels playing hide-and-seek, for the ability to do whatever activity, for healthy lungs, etc.

Love is simpler. Afterall, isn't that the purest essence of life?

Hope these help.

Peace.

ali said...

I feel like this a lot and glad to know pros do this. Going to try and think about it and stay focused. Thanks for writing!

Matt said...

Well said!! love the post! a worthy bookmark to remind me during those mental days or weeks

ADC said...

Great one. I very often remember a photo of a rock in Australia which had the following written on it: "Love for this moment, for this moment is your life".

DS said...

I find in races it helps to tuck in behind some cute blond and stare at her butt when im hammering out a "barely hang on" pace, but im not sure this is going to help you, you may not be into that sort of thing. Maybe for your other readers, It works for me and I swear by it!

DS

GoBigGreen said...

Great post. I try to draw from my tennis history to focus on the NOW. In tennis it was super easy to be mad about a shot i missed ( like 3 games ago!) or to be thinking " IF i win the next 3 points i will be up a set and i can relax..." etc..So try to keep those thoughts out of my head in Tri bc it just never helps to dwell on the past ( even if its 3 minutes ago) or to try to predict the future. Its like " STAY IN THE HERE AND NOW." that is what i tell myself.

Running Bums said...

Charisa, I'm glad you got your tough workout! I felt bad when I made a face when you told me what you had because I know that never helps :) Oh well, it's just running! Keep up the good work!