Friday, February 11, 2011

5000 Meters

The last time I ran a 5k was probably 3+ years ago when I ran cross country. The only thing I remember about it is that I loved racing with my teammates and mid-race I was ALWAYS thinking how painful the distance was and that I never wanted to do another short race. Only to finish, high five all my speedy friends who run much faster than I do, and sign up for another short and fast race.


On Sunday I'm giving the 5k another go. Jeffrey (for those of you who have forgotten my good friend Jeffrey - he is the one who competed against Steven last year in the Boise Boys Showdown. In bright pink.) has offered to pace me to a PR. My PR is somewhere in the 18:40ish range, but was in a triathlon, so I am pretty sure it does not count.


Jeffrey is sure we can go sub-18. On an uphill finish course. I was questioning sub-19 until he started going on and on about sub-18 and I decided why not, 17:xx sounds nice. So sub-18 or bust it is.

I am hoping Jeffrey shows up in a spectacular outfit so we can get a picture I will laugh at for the entire year. Something that shows his ability to simply jog next to me at sub-6 pace for 5000 meters, while I am losing a lung, my heart is threatening failure and my legs have turned to jello. In other words - something that depicts my feeling of near-death while Jeffrey works on moving my pain threshold barrier just a bit further outside its current zone, all while trying to make me laugh. Because in the end, we will be running 5000 meters at my max speed for fun.

21 comments:

Christi said...

Good luck Charisa! I sure you will kill it and I can't wait to see pics!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Be careful out there. I have seen people lose lungs... not a pretty sight.

Running and living said...

You can do it!!!! And then you can tell us all what your secret is:)

TRI714 said...

I also just signed up for a 5k set for the 27th. I figured I would pay $ 38 bucks to make myself suffer as hard as possible. Good luck.

Teresa said...

Love your attitude!

"a fun outfit so we have a photo to laugh at all year!"
-love it!

Photos are the best memories!

Go get 'em!

tn

SSB said...

Good luck!

Kim said...

go get em girl!

Steve said...

OUCHHHHHHHHHHH!!! That speed hurts just to read it. :) Good Luck. :)

Barbie said...

Goodluck Charisa. YOu will hit a PR for sure.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

GOOD LUCK Charisa and please make Jeffrey wear a ridiculous outfit - that picture is HILARIOUS!!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Isn't it crazy what other people think you can do v.s. what you think you can do? In order to start with my running team in a big race here in WA, I have to qualify at another race, particularly a 10K running it in at least 49 min. At 1st, I thought that I could not run that fast, but they were all pretty sure I can. Then, I looked through my old posts, and I ran a 49:xx min 10K at the end of a triathlon last year. Hmmmm. It is definitely possible!!!

Beth said...

Gooooo Charisa! Sub 18 all the way! Have fun (mostly afterwards once you can smile and laugh again) :-)

Aimee said...

Good luck in your 5k on Sunday! You can totally do sub 18s! :)

m said...

Good Luck in your 5k! I'm sure you can get sub 18 no problem.

Meg said...

OK, NOW I HAVE to wake up early and watch you go sub 18. Listen for the cow bell! YOU CAN DO IT!

Matt said...

Kill it!

Libby said...

good luck girl!!! go get it!

Caratunk Girl said...

Best of luck Charisa!! I can't wait to hear how it goes! And to see those pictures of Jeffery making you laugh.

Oh. I think 5ks are way more painful than marathons. No question. Good luck.

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Hi!
good lord! sub 18. that rocks. AND yah...ya gotta do it and CAN!

Woo-hoo!

will be lookin' out for your post tomorrow!;)

IAN said...

you GOT this!

Black Knight said...

You have a fast PR!
5K is the most difficult distance because we have to push all the time.
Good luck.