Sunday, February 13, 2011

San Dieguito 5k Race Report

Coach Dirk's pre-race instructions: Go out hard, then hang on for dear life.

Rabbit Jeffrey's comment while easing some of my semi-ridiculous pre-race fears:
Me: Well, what if I shart myself.
Jeffrey: Welll, that would be awesome!

And onto the race itself...
In the photo below, I am the one floating next to Jeffrey. The first mile is a nice downhill.


I knew we had to to hold 5:45 pace to get me under 18. We went through the first mile in 5:32. All good.

At mile two Jeffrey started to pull ahead. Hang on. Hang on. Hang on. He did an awesome job of making me laugh, all while I concentrated on breathing. And seriously, if someone showed up to pace you in an awesome pink outfit - wouldn't it motivate you to dig deeper?! It did for me.
My view.

At the bottom of the final mile uphill I glanced at my watch. We were spot-on 5:45 avg. pace. Ruh-roh. Long hill looming ahead . . . maybe I can dig deeper. Just a few more minutes. DO WORK! Why is Jeffrey getting further away? Oh dear, move legs. Lungs breathe! You can view a video of us finishing here, I'm working hard and Jeffrey is "jogging".

Done! I did not die. Or shart myself.
Thanks to Mauricio of ZeroD for some of the photos!

:45 short of my goal, I came in 1st female at 18:44. I am more motivated than ever to chase that PR. (Pink Rabbit).

26 comments:

Steve said...

5K's are soooooo hard. I have been trying to knock off 5-6 seconds to get below 22:00. Now I feel I am so far away. You have 44 seconds to knock off??? OUCH!! You need cool weather, and a flat course. :)

Gooooooood Luck!!! :)

Beth said...

What a great pink rabbit you have to chase!!! :) Awesome job Charisa - that sub 18 is all yours sooner or later! :)

ADC said...

First female!!!! yay, huge congrats. I just don't know how I would be able to keep my face straight next to the man in pink outfit.

Running and living said...

You can def get the sub 18, though the 18:44 is nonetheless v impressive. Congrats and yay for pink Jeffrey!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sweet outfit (Jeffrey that is). I wonder what a 55 year old would look like in it?
Anything under 20 is sick in my book... congrats!

Caratunk Girl said...

Great job!! That pink suit is hilarious. 5ks hurt. You are freaking amazing!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, Congrats

Happy Valentines Day

Christi said...

What a great outfit to chase! You did fabulous and I know sub-18 is yours!

lizzy said...

You'll get there!! :) LOVE the pink fairy you had to chase. And thanks for the motivation Charisa!

TRI714 said...

I know that is a lofty goal, but I was pulling for you. In fact it came up in conversation with Patrick from THE ROAD BLOG on our ride Saturday. Congrats on 1st !!!!

Kiet said...

True challenges are rarely accomplished the first time around, but your willingness to chase it again is most important.

BreeWee said...

By the end of the season it is yours! LOVE this report, fired up for you..... happy valentines day!

Kim said...

good girl! you will get that PR :)

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - way to Go out there! Congrats on the win, and that PR is YOURS for the taking!

Nergock said...

Very impressed. Great job Charisa!! In the photo of the final stretch, Jeffrey looked so comfortable and relaxed.

Barbie said...

Oh my, he looks so cute in pink. I had to have a chuckle when you said "what if I shart myself". I was almost there last Wednesday at track...:)

Great job with your time and placing - phenomenal.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats on your podium and gutting it out! I echo the rest of your fans - the PR will come.

JenniferLeah said...

Amazing!! Great job :) I read on Twitter you won it!!

Kelly said...

shart?

Libby said...

wohoo!!! nice work speedy :) very impressive and I know sub 18 is well within your reach! WTG on the win!

solarpowered said...

Congrats on a solid, impressive, and FAST race! And you had a fun view, too :)

computer probs have kept me away for a bit... the bathroom looks great!

IAN said...

Jeff is my HERO! (aside from you of course).

Greg said...

Congratulations on your hard work, and being the first female finisher.
Our forward steps always move us toward our destiny. Nice effort.

Running Bums said...

Great Job Charisa! You will get your sub-18 this season I can feel it:) It was nice running with you too!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Hi;)
I know i'm late, just catching up. n.i.c.e. would kill for that time. but you know that.

and you Will get your time you're shootin' for!

Heidi Austin said...

congrats on you 1st oA finish and fast time! i miss those 5ks!!!