Thursday, January 6, 2011

Progress

Training is clipping along and I'm getting back into the swing of things. Progress. Since I don't have pictures of my training progress, I figured I would share some pictures of my bathroom rehab progress. (Rehab post #1 and #2 in case you want to see previous pics.)

Step #1 was to lay out the entire floor to make sure my pattern lined up.

Next was thin set - basically gluing the tiles to the floor. I quickly learned thin set should be laid very thinly.  HA - imagine that! Otherwise it glops up between the penny tiles and is a mess.

I had to lay my colored border and design by hand.

After 24 hrs of drying - it was time to grout.

This was my favorite part - very messy, but fun.

After smearing the grout all over you have to sponge the extra off the top of the tiles and rinse the sponge 10 million times. My hands were sore.

Once it dried I wiped the tiles clean.

Then it's time to cut my beadboard and chair rail. A HUGE thanks to Nick and Karla for helping with this portion!

Half done. We still need to cut beadboard to fit around the sink. Caulking, final paint, replacing toilet, sealing tiles, etc. New bathroom will be done soon. I'm pretty proud of how the floor turned out - for a girl who rides her bike a lot and sells microscopes, I'd say it's not half bad!

16 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

The bathroom looks awesome! :)

Steve said...

Wanna know something that really isn't a secret, but gonna tell you anyway. I work at a lumberyard. Kinda like a Lowes or a Home Depot. It is only in the Midwest. I have worked there since 1994.

I absolutely hate doing stuff like that around the house. My wife loves it. :)

Congrats on your remodel. :)

Aimee said...

Awesome job on the bathroom! The tile looks great!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Looking good!
I love the supervison job by your hubby on the second to last!! Or is he actually holding something??

Beth said...

Impressive work!!! I'm mostly impressed with your patience in laying all those tiles out. Looks beautiful! :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

It really is quite lovely! You should be super proud of yourself!

m said...

Cute tile work! I renovated 2 bathrooms a few years ago, it is exhausting and I wasn't even doing most of the work. It is a nice feeling of accomplishment when it is done and so nice to enjoy once it is finished.

Teresa said...

So excited for the final project!!
tn

Kiki said...

Can't wait to see the final product! Looking good!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek said...

Good LORD! That is amazing you did this. and yah..if you work w/microscopes I guess it makes sense you would have this ability to pay attention and work with the fine details.

nice!

Meg said...

I like the personal and creative touches, what a lot of work though! I think I'd rather be training!

Matt said...

very nice, I like! cool design added in.

Kim said...

The new floor design is very cool! I really like it!! Way to go Charisa! You are very creative!!

Christi said...

Awesome!

Snakebite said...

Flower inlays? I was expecting bike inlays!

Looks great!

kera said...

uummmm you need to be SOOOO proud of yourself!! looks great!!