Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Get Strong

I haven't done much weight lifting since my days of gymnastics training. Dirkinator prescribed weights this season because (read in German accent) Ve must get you strong!

I was fairly certain Dirk thinks I am WAY stronger than I actually am when he threw all this weight onto the leg press.

The expert shows me how it's done. Apparently I was cheating and not bending my legs enough...

Step 1.

Step 2.

We moved on to some swim specific sets...

This was my favorite. It was also funny because Dirk put the weight on and said "ok go" and nothing happened because my toothpick arms are weak - which probably also explains why I am not yet a super speedy swimmer.

Once again Dirk says "Ok - go ahead, lift" and I start laughing because I am trying to lift. Not until he took off the weight you see laying on the floor in front of the machine could I actually use my calves to lift the bar. His remark, "Hmmm, give it a few weeks." So twice a week you will now find me in the gym, improving my swim among other things.

18 comments:

D said...

Funny timing... JUST this morning sent a coach an e-mail saying that I'm adding strength training in a couple days a week. I. LOVE. IT!
ps: keep your shoulders down when you do lat pulldowns (at least I *think* that's what that machine is) ;)

Kim said...

you look strong to me charisa! way to get started with the strength training. its so hard!

Running and living said...

I have been doing some swim specific strength with bands and it is amazing how well it works for both strength and form. You look strong.

Kiet said...

Right on, so glad you are hitting the weight room. It's my least favorite thing to do but I always feel so much stronger and it allows me to do what I love (swim, bike, run) so much better. So when motivation wanes, like it is for me knowing I have to do it tonight, keep this in mind. Can't wait for un an update after a month.

Molly said...

Nice!!! I love all the strength work, it really does make a difference! The real question is...can you walk without pain now?

Christi said...

Welcome to the gym rat world! I lift 3xweek and it really helps me stay uninjured!

Beth said...

Wondering if you are as sore from the lifting yesterday as I am?! :) You will be unstoppable!!! :)

Steve said...

lol. Funny post :)) Good luck with your weight training. :)

Luke said...

I started lifting at teh end of last season, I am hoping it pays off come April. I hope yours pays off for you too :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Yet another thing to add to the schedule! You're inspiring me.

Matt said...

it took my body a few goes to get used to it..I havent touched weights in along time... But Dirkinator knows best right :)

Barbie said...

Good job getting strong.

endurancegirl said...

ah the dirkinator....that must have been so entertaining! :) love that guy.

martin briars said...

looks good charisa !
can't wait to see those weights being piled on as you progress... i know i have to do this ! the pics are great !

Hone said...

Nice! I actually started lifting weights a few weeks ago as well. I am super weak and sometime get embarrassed when I am putting up 1/8 the weight of the guys around me.

Keep it up!!

Heidi Austin said...

sounds like me lifting weights in the gym... glad i'm not the only one :)

Libby said...

you are so funny. best post ever. I bet the strength training will help out your swim a ton! next goal sub :55!!

IAN said...

am loving the pics of Dirkinator in the gym. Although I've done way too much of that in my lifetime I sometimes miss weight lifting and the feeling you get afterwards. Have fun