Friday, January 7, 2011

In This Moment

In triathlon (and especially Ironman) training I often hear: Well, I'd like to do that, but I have to do a long run (ride, swim, etc.) first. I think one of the things that makes athletes so unique is our ability to prioritize and Get the Work Done. But I also think sometimes along the way of fitting in work, training, etc. it is easy to forget that nobody is forcing us to train. Quite the contrary - we are lucky enough to be able to get up each day and make a choice to spend an hour running or riding.

This doesn't mean there are times when the training schedule calls for something that in no way sounds appealing to the legs, a busy schedule, or waning motivation. 

Thanks to Graphic Exchange for this print.

I have been working on trying to make even ordinary or mundane things count and live in the moment. I'll admit - in a painful workout I am quick to think "Oh, I can't wait until twenty minutes from now when this [run/bike/swim/etc.] is over." I started taking a different approach. Instead of just wishing my workout over, I tried to embrace it. For example, in those hard intervals when I want to quit, I try to pinpoint how I feel - and really, what is making it so awful that I want to quit? When I step back and analyze things, often I am left with "Well, my legs are burning, but I am not injuring them. I am still breathing and not dead. And my turnover seems good." It definitely takes practice - but the more I try, the more I'm able to embrace really hard workouts and even look forward to them. Or at least laugh at them once I'm done.

Happy Weekend Training!

13 comments:

Running and living said...

Ah, acceptance, good stuff:)

TRI714 said...

I freaking love this.

please check my blog today http://tri714-letsdothisagain.blogspot.com/ i think you'll find it relative. Andhey we got some more sun here in Cali !! go,go,go..

Christi said...

Great advice!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Maybe that's why I am the onehourironman, I never get tired of training... of course I'll never qualify for Kona either... so pros and cons.
Cheers! Here's to embracing the moment!

Steve said...

I doubt I push myself as hard as you, but I still get nervous for speed work. :) I know I'll always feel better after. Sometimes it might take a day or two. :)

Snakebite said...

Great attitude!

Sometimes, during training, an athlete must intentionally put themselves deep in the pain cave so they'll know how it will affect them and how to deal with it during an event. Masochism applies - sometimes.

martin briars said...

I ALWAYS say to myself when the running is not so easy : "where would you rather be?". The answer, when i look at the realistic options, is ALWAYS - "here".
The running then seems easy !
You are so right about having the CHOICE to so this - some people around the world simply do NOT have a choice.

solarpowered said...

When I was running 12 miles in the heavy snow this morning, I wasn't having fun after a while. My legs felt heavy and I was working hard to run through the snow. I wanted to be done. And then I realized how cool it was to be out there in the raw nature, able to run at all.

Great post, Charisa :)

D said...

And that is why you are a PRO & I am sitting on my couch eating donuts.

Running Bums said...

It's always good to get a refresher on this one! I will be thinking about this today:)

Shawn and Tracy said...

Well said....embrace the pain and know it is only making you stronger! I try to do the same....if it's hurting and making me want to stop it must be a good thing right!?!
Tracy

Barbie said...

Thanks for this blog post - You pin pointed exactly what I should be doing/saying to myself when things get hard in the run. Thankyou.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love this attitude and approach! You're always teaching me something good. Thank you for that.