Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Very Special Race

I raced my first marathon in Chicago when I was 19. My grandparents (in their early 80s at the time) made the trip over from Michigan, lawn chairs in tow, to watch my Dad and I race. They planted themselves on the busiest Chicago corner and took in the entire race, cheering as I ran past.


Last year my Grandma turned 95 and we had a great party. On Sunday when I race Ironman my Grandma is coming to spectate. At age 96!

My cousins are also coming, as well my "other Mom". In college I lost my best friend and roommate. Her Mom became my "other Mom" and has since run some half marathons herself. I feel pretty darn lucky to have such awesome friends and family cheering me on as I go the crazy distance of Ironman once again. I'm pretty sure that my finisher medal is going home with my other Mom, just like that first Chicago marathon medal did.

17 comments:

Caroline said...

Racing is SO much more special when we share it with others. And when those "others" are close to us and hold a special place in our heart, amazing memories are made. Enjoy your ironman journey! Kick butt...and enjoy all the love being sent your way (from near and far!) on race day.
-and say hello to Madison for me. LOVE that city!

Libby said...

going to be a special day for you! tons of good luck your way!!

Beth said...

That is so awesome Charisa! You are going to have lots of great motivation when the going gets tough on Sunday. Safe travels and have an awesome, amazing, wonderful time!! :)

Jill Costantino said...

OMG - your Grandma is ADORABLE! What fun for you to have all of those people you know at the race cheering you on. Kick some booty this weekend lady!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Love it! Your grandma is adorable and you are so lucky to have a healthy grandparent!!! (you know!)...GOOD LUCK up in Madison. I will be up there watching and will look for you! WEATHER IS AWESOME HERE!

Kim said...

So excited for you Charisa! Go have SO much fun and enjoy your time!! You can do it!!

Michelle Simmons said...

How awesome! Have a great race this weekend!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

That's great! And you also have your adopted amateur followers that will be watching on line
Good luck

Mike Russell said...

Don't forget us slackers who won't be there to watch you in person but will be tracking your progress online!

I expect you to carry your phone the whole race and watch your Twitter updates for our encouraging words! :)

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

That is so awesome! Good luck on Sunday! You are going to do so great!

solarpowered said...

I just got goosebumps.

What an awesome group of supporters.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I got chills too - what a beautiful story. You are going to have a magical weekend!

ADC said...

What an amazing day and race that will be for you.

Alex said...

I got goosebumps too! Goodluck!

m said...

Good Luck! Very cool that your Grandma is 96 and will be there to spectate!

Lisa T said...

I have to work or I'd be there cheering too! I'll be thinking about you though!

Amy said...

This is a great story, I remember my grandma too. Good luck to your race!!!!

zbsports