Monday, September 14, 2009

Grandma

My Grandma is just downright cool. Seriously - look at her - I don't even have sunglasses this awesome!

The weekend FLEW by. I had a blast. I love going back where I grew up. Add family and friends that I do not get to see often and I really couldn't ask for anything else.

It will probably take all week to post all my fun adventures. And in the process I think I may have learned a little something from my Grandma - a little bit of why I am the way I am . . .

Driving home from the birthday party Grandma told me she wanted to do the Mackinac Island bridge walk next Labor Day. They shut down the bridge and everyone walks the 5 miles across. She was not joking - she told me she wanted to start training (her exact words) for it and she was sure she could do it. I have no doubt she can!

My Grandma is 95 and she drives her 70-year-old friends around because they are falling apart and can not drive anymore. I was bummed I had to fly home last night because tonight she invited me to go to her Garden Club meeting. It's the annual tomato festival. Everyone brings tomatoes they have grown and it's a big tasting / contest to see who has the best this year!

14 comments:

Beth said...

You might have the coolest grandma ever! :) Glad you had such a great weekend!

Roo said...

I say we go to MI next Labor Day and walk with Grandma. We can bring our bikes and I'll show you all the fun routes we did!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great genes. I see who is going to be doing IMs at 80.... you!!

Caroline said...

My parents and a few of their friends do the bridge walk every year. They love it! Go Grandma Go!

D said...

I only have one grand parent left and she's a bitch. Like crazy, raving, lunatic bitch.

Fortunately, my dad is 72 is he's like dad & grandpa all rolled into one hahaha.

t-odd said...

95! I love that she wants to start training. Old people rock!

Glad you had a great weekend.

GoBigGreen said...

Oh how fun. I bet your grandma will do the jig while she is pushing people in wc's during that 5 mile walk!

rocketpants said...

LOVE that she wants to do that walk. That is awesome! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Mama Simmons said...

That's really cool! What an awesome grandma. She'll live for a long time if she keeps setting long term goals like that. :)

beth said...

yeah grams!!! i love that your grandma's still "got it"...nothing like an awesome visit with the ones you love.

ADC said...

That is one cool grandma :)

Night Owl Racing said...

Grandmas are the best. I love mine with all of my heart. Nothing is better than hanging out with the family.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Your Grandma is glorious!

solarpowered said...

What a wonderful post. You're so lucky to have a spunky grandmom at 95! She seems awesome!