Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Corn Roast

In high school I ran many miles past corn fields. The number of stars you can see on an early morning run in the middle of nowhere is amazing. And lots of them fall!

Before I left Michigan we had a corn roast. If you have never had sweet corn straight from the stalk, roasted over a fire, oh my, you are missing out!

I managed to roast a Big Frank veggie hot dog as well. Mmmmm Mmmm good!

There was talk of driving Grandma down to the roasting-site, but she was having none of it. Why would you drive me when I have two legs and can walk?! Nobody came up with a good answer for this, so we hiked down to the fire pit.

14 comments:

Molly said...

Grandma rocks! I hope I'm that spry at her age :)

Caroline said...

My parents would always tell us that when the corn stalks got taller than us it would be time to go back to school. But man MI sweet corn is the best!!!

Meg Runs said...

Lov eyour grandma, what a cutie and a spit-fire! I wish I could taste that corn!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Okay - I am totally adopting your Grandma! Awesome!

LOVE that corn... :) Aaahhh - growing up in the Midwest.....

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Unless you are from up there, you dont realize how GOOD MI corn can be. Thanks for bringing back memories!!

ADC said...

I LOOOVE corn roast.

t-odd said...

I love roasted corn, too. (Not so much veggie dogs.) Learned from a friend of mine over the weekend that corn is a "lazy" vegetable. I told her, "You're a lazy vegetable!" (Good comeback, huh?) This is the woman who also told us that High Fructose Corn Syrup is mostly mercury - I guess that accounts for my weight gain.

You're grandma is the coolest! 95! Wow, and still fiery.

Running and living said...

I love roasted corn. And your grandma. You should consider letting her read all these posts! Ana-Maria

IAN said...

Corn on the cob has become a new favorite of mine. I want to go to a corn roast now. Maybe we have one after Kona.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I have never had corn fresh from the stalk - how sad for me...

Looks like a great day!

Teresa said...

Grandma is so cute!!! Just want to give her a big hug!!!

Fun corn-filled day!

tn

Roo said...

The corn in my garden should be ready after Kona so we'll have a corn roast for you and Ian!

Hooterville Mayor said...

I roast corn on the grill all summer long and it is delicious! The field corn is over 9 feet tall out here this year.
Ya, no kidding!

Runner Leana said...

Your grandma sounds like one amazing lady! And the corn looks delicous. Now I'm hungry!