Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Don't Drop Your Chain

At Ironman Wisconsin I failed to mention in my race report that I dropped my chain. It was on an uphill and one of those moments where I briefly felt like Andy Schleck in Le Tour - pedaling, shifting, spinning but going nowhere with my chain off the front chain ring. D'oh!! Although sadly after I got off my bike and put the chain back on, nobody was there to give me a push and cheer me on again.

I have since learned about the K-Edge Chain Catcher and thankfully will not drop my chain again.  Last weekend I installed this on my bike:

Super simple little device that took me literally less than 5 minutes to install. For those of you worried about weight - it weighs 10 grams. Basically nothing. And it just won't allow your chain to fall off if you shift into your small ring on the fly.

Oh - and it gets better - they come in fun colors! I'm pretty sure I will need to get a green one to match my race kit. 

A couple other things I like about the company that sells these:
  • They are all made by hand in the USA. Seriously - do you have many components on your bike that were made on US soil? Doubtful.
  • The company is run by Kristin Armstrong's husband. For those of you who failed to watch cycling in the Olympics - Kristin won a gold medal. Needless to say, the product is made by someone who knows bikes.
I rode a hilly route this past weekend and I'm pretty sure my chain catcher already did its job. One less thing to worry about when I'm racing this weekend. You can find more info on the K-Edge Chain Catcher here.

11 comments:

Minh said...

I was doing some trail rides on my cross bike over the weekend and also dropped my chain (but on some bumpy trails instead of a uphill). I picked up the K-Edge Cross Chain Catcher (http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-edge-chain-catchers/cyclocross/cross-single-chain-catcher.html) yesterday at my LBS. The thing is definitely quality! A bit pricey for what it is but I want to say it was well worth it!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I dropped mine twice in Louisville on hills. Problem was I was dropping to my small chain ring at the same time I was trying to shift my rear. Comes off every time. I need to look at your fix.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Glad to know I am not alone. I wonder if it would work on a mountain bike.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

My teams forum was buzzing aboout a month ago about chain catchers, I didnt have a clue what they were talking about, now I do.

Megan said...

I've got one of those too! in flashy blue, to match my bike. I haven't put it on yet though, and luckily didn't drop my chain at Rev3.

Teresa said...

I need one or two...I drop my chain EVERY race!!! Maybe I need cycle lessons...:)

t-odd said...

I was considering getting one for my bike prior to IMWI. I was really concerned about dropping my chain. I didn't get one, but I also didn't ride that bike in the race. I did, however, drop my chain on one of the first climbs. I RIDE LIKE A PRO!

I'll be getting one for my new rig.

solarpowered said...

A friend of mine did a 70.3 this summer and dropped her chain, and then it happened again to her at a shorter race a few weeks later. I'm definitely going to tell her about this gadget!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I so need one of those!

Larry said...

You can usually shift your chain back on by shifting back the other way and continuing to pedal.

Also, your road bike shouldn't drop a chain unless it's not adjusted right. You can also usually fix that by adjusting the derailleur stop.

martin briars said...

excellent !! this has been happening to me more frequently than i'd like, though i have always been able to readjust the gear shift to get the chain back on... i'll be telling all mes amis en France too !
;:0))