Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ironman Wisconsin Race Report

I have never done two Ironmans seven weeks apart, so going into this race I really wasn't sure what to expect. I basically knew two things - I had a ton of friends and family coming and I felt ready. So I figured let's go out, give it my best shot and take it all in.

My friend Janie came over from Chicago and was awesome - all over the course with Steven, giving me time splits, screaming and cheering like crazy.

Pro swim start.

I'm in the middle of this picture. If you enlarge it you can tell by my awesome Sable Goggles. I spent most of the swim leading this pack around the lake. I didn't feel I was swimming well, so coming out in 1:03 completely made my day. Yehawwwww for finally breaking 1:06!

The pro racks were not quite as empty as when I usually get there - progress!

On the bike I spent the first loop at what felt like a "moderate" pace. I had heard the course was pretty tough (accurate) and wanted to save something for the second loop. I also ate a lot more on the bike than I had at Lake Placid. These two strategies worked and I felt great on the second loop. The crowds on the hills made me feel like I was in the Tour de France - just tons of spectators screaming as you climb. Completely awesome. I was hoping to PR my bike split and came one minute shy with my time of 5:33. On the bike I moved from 10th to 7th.

My cousin and his wife are awesome. They made a long drive from Michigan with two kids and my grandma. It was so great having them at the race cheering! Their car had an age gap of 94 years.

The crowds in Madison are crazy awesome! I moved from 7th to 5th on the run. Can you tell I'm excited to be in 5th? My run split was also one minute shy of my PR at 3:23.

The day was one of those rare days when things just seem to come together. I had hoped to run faster, but with a new overall PR of 10:07 I have no complaints whatsoever. I'm getting closer to that sub-10!

I think Grandma is going to need to come to more races!


I feel so lucky that Steven comes to almost all my races. He is so involved in my training and racing and for this I am so grateful.

THANK YOUS: TriSports.com for carrying everything tri related. Sable Water Optics - I can see while I swim straight into sunshine! Rudy Project for protecting my head and making some fun sunglasses. QuintanaRoo, Profile Design & Zipp for an awesome ride. SCAPE for protecting me from the sun. MicroscopeWorld.com for the days off to race. GU for making awesome flavored gels like espresso and blackberry. SMACK! Media for keeping me in the loop. And of course Zoot for compression, fun racing and training gear and suhweeeeet shoes!

Next up is a few days in a Chicago and a visit to Grandma's house in MI to raid her raspberry bushes!

44 comments:

Lisa G said...

Awesome! Way to go! So glad to hear you had one of those days where everything comes together!

Teresa said...

Congrats. I just can't say it enough!

ADC said...

You ROCK!!!!! You kept me up late last night tracking you but it was worth it. Absolutely huuuge congrats.

cheryl said...

Wow! Fabulous race!!!! Congratulations!

Yasi said...

Congrats on such a fantastic race! You rock C!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Watched you on Ironman Live as their all day coverage was winding down. We need to tell Greg Welch who you are. I'll give him a call..... oh that's right, he doesn't know me either...

Be sure to take Steven out for a nice dinner with the pay check

can't believe you are blogging so soon after!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Damn, I really wanted to be first today.

So sorry you had a such a crappy run! GEEZ!

And such good strategy to save your sub 10 hour effort for KONA. You are going right!

Beth said...

Charisa!!! I am so darn happy for you. I COULD NOT WAIT to get home from my race to check out how you were doing and how you finished up and wow was I excited to see you finish 5th! In a PR! And just about PR everything else along the way!! Your grandma is definitely your good luck charm! :) Oh and I know how you feel about Steven. Oscar is the same for me and I don't know what I'd do without him! Have fun with your visit in MI and raiding the raspberries! :)

Chloe said...

CONGRATS!! What an amazing race!!

Kathrin said...

CONGRATS to a GREAT race! I saw a little bit of the live coverage, just a tiny little bit... But I saw you coming out of T2 and you looked STRONG! Enjoy the days off with friends and family!

The Navarro Family said...

Congrats!!! I did the race too and saw you at about your mile 20 and u looked strong and focused!! That is amazing :)

Alili said...

Your smile is contagious! Congrats on a great race and for looking so darn cute while running so fast. :)

Kim said...

yes charisa! awesome awesome job!!!! you make IM look easy! and fun :) congrats!

Angela and David said...

Awesome! Such an amazing day for you! You looked so strong and focused when you went by me on the bike (I was out running). Enjoy Chicago - you guys are getting some great weather! If you are out in Naperville for any reason, just let me know.

kera said...

I started welling up with tears seeing you and Janie.....miss Alli sooo much. How PROUD she would be of you and cheer louder than ANY OTHER PERSON out there! Thank goodness Janie is SOOOO awesome and "stood in" for her!! You are just amazing girl....such hard work you've put into this and it really paid off!! Have a blast in Chicago!! I want/need to go visit!! BIG HUGS OF CONGRATS!!!

Christi said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and everyone who shared in your success!

Keep up the awesome work and you will be sub-10 before you know it!

GoBigGreen said...

Congrats Charisa! Our Raspberry bushes are going nuts so i am sure Grandma still has a good crop for you.
Enjoy your recovery :)

Matt said...

congrats on a stellar all around day and a big PR! was great watching you online and the twitter updates! Enjoy the post IM recovery week, you earned it :)

solarpowered said...

As someone who LOVES the training but struggles with race success, I LOVE seeing the excited, happy look on your face through this race. So cool.

It was a blast to watch/follow/cheer you on (online) from NJ. Congratulations on an outstanding 5th place achievement!

Kiki said...

So impressive. Your hard work definately payed off! Congrats! seems like just yesterday that you were doing your first ironman (which was my last)!! Hope you enjoy some down time now.

Jill Costantino said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats! What an amazing day and to have all of those people who are close to you to celebrate that is fantastic! Your grandma is adorable!
WOOHOO - way to go out there!

kristinschleicher said...

congratulations on a great race! I love the swooping finish photo :)

SHERRY said...

Congratulations, Charisa! Your expression in those photos is absolutely priceless! Way to rock it!

Damie said...

awesome, awesome race. :)))))

BreeWee said...

this made me so happy.... im just going to celebrate this for you for a little while :) on the way, love it!~ And of course you will only get better!!

SSB said...

I love the photos of you running down the chute! Congrats on a great race.

Eli Carlson said...

Congratulations Charisa! So proud of you and as always, your photos are awesome!!! The smile and expression on your face in the run and finish photos are priceless and say it all. Have fun with the family!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Woohoo! Congrats on your race! You did AWESOME! I LOVED the pictures, especially the ones of you finishing!

Libby said...

awesome girl! congrats!! great race and love the smiling pics!! go enjoy your success!! sub 10 is on the horizon!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats Charisa!! What a strong race! SO happy for you!! Steven - your photos are amazing. Thank you for capturing our girl coming in strong at the finish!

Meg said...

Congrats!!!!! You are SO inspiring!!!

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

Congratulations on your first (of many, I'm sure) professional Ironman podiums! Now go enjoy some fresh raspberries. Life is good!

martin briars said...

that is fantastic ! nothing but admiration for your determination from over in France !
Félicitations !!
martin

Steve Stenzel said...

WOW! Great work! I wish I could have been there to see you race and to finally meet you in person! Those photos of you coming though the chute are AMAZING!! You look like you're having so much fun!

CONGRATS!!

Megan said...

YAY! The photos of you on the run make me teary-eyed with excitement (or maybe its my own post-race exhaustion?). You look SO HAPPY! I am so excited for you :)

hj said...

Awesome job Charisa! SWIM PR!!!!! ALMOST under an hour!:)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats! You made it look like so much fun! : )

Snakebite said...

Way to go, Shuh-ree-suh!!!

t-odd said...

I want to be able to run like you. Glad you had such a great time in Mad-town.

Black Knight said...

Congrats on the great race. In the pictures you look very very strong, fast and ready to run again for ... another hour (more and not less).

Lisa T said...

OH yeah! Awesome job! Have fun here in my new home state!

Leana said...

Congratulations on an amazing race! You look so happy out there. I love that you have Microscope World on your kit too!

Caratunk Girl said...

Congrats on an awesome race!! I was gone last weekend until Tuesday and when I got back I looked your time up - I was so stoked for you! (You didn't know you had another stalker, did ya? Ha) Way to go!!

Love the pictures and the race report.

IAN said...

I just noticed those pretty white bike shoes. Those things gleam!