Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Swim Week #2 Recap


Swim week #2 came and went, much of it taking place in the rain. This morning at masters my fly seemed to be falling into place a little better. Not sure if all the meters are working, or if I was just imagining myself beating Maggs (and Lisa??) in our upcoming race. Most likely it was the latter.
  • This time around we experimented with double back-to-back swims, rather than swim, shower, go to work, go back to pool, swim again . . . I decided there are benefits to both.
  • On IM days it was nice to do an IM set, then follow it up with a free set.
  • On free days it was not so nice to do a free set followed by another free set.
  • The most I swam in one day was 8,000 meters. That seemed like a LOT to me. Again, I never swam when I was young, so those of you that swam in high school or college - is this a lot? I'm guessing for swimmers it is not.
  • Total for the week was 30,200 meters.
  • My arms were sore during the 1/2 marathon. But we all know you don't run with your arms. . .so in unison - everyone pull out their violins for me.
  • Finally - a big thanks to my favorite fish Teresa for giving me pointers on swimming fly. I'm going to make you proud in a few months (or give you something to laugh at - not sure which yet).

19 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

8k is alot!!!

Amanda said...

i wasn't a swimmer either, but it seems like a lot to me. 30.2k is a helluvalot! most people don't run that in a week...

Colleen said...

8K is a lot for 1 session! I am a swimmer and the longest swim workouts would be at 10K in one session. you are doing plenty of yardage-be mindful of your shoulders!! sounds like you are really motivated! yahh!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

It's all relative. For a dolphin, 8K is a slow day, but then again, they have the kick down...

Jill Costantino said...

Woah - that was a BIG swim week! I used to be a swimmer and YES 8k is a LONG workout. You are going to be a fish:)

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

No chica, I think you ROCK! :) Umm... over 30,000m! That is just AWESOME!!!

Running and living said...

I am not a swimmer, but that is a lot of swimming! Great job!

GoBigGreen said...

I wish if we swam that much we could change our genes and get swimmer shoulders:) or maybe not. But for a day or so it would be fun!

Lisa T said...

I thought of a prize. The losers have to design and buy a splish suit for the winner.

Caroline said...

8K is a LOT. Even on my 40k swim swim swim week I never reached 8k in a single workout. Glad to hear you're enjoying your time in the pool. AND congrats on a a great race this wknd!

t-odd said...

I would agree with everyone else - 8K is a lot. I did more in workouts in college, but then that is all I was doing. (I mean other than drinking, scoring chicks, sleeping and eating. Not necessarily in that order and in the case of "scoring chicks" not necessarily at all.) Keep swimming!

Jennifer Harrison said...

8k is a lot in one session, yep! I am a swimmer too (well pretend to be one)....one of my friends who swam at U of I swam 100k+ per week. OUCH..

GOOD work, Charisa! I am sure it will pay off.

Mike Russell said...

8,000 meters in one day is fantastic. You are giving me a new height to shoot for...

ADC said...

Wow, that is a lot of swimming. I am IMPRESSED.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

WOOOO!!!! Nice work out there! You're doing GREAT - stay strong, stay motivated and I know good things will come your way! :) And I LOVE Lisa's splish suit idea... excellent!

Teresa said...

Your a fish now too!!! Keep it up...1:06 or bust and :xx or bust (you know what I mean). You will be dreaming about the butterfly soon :)

tn

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

OMG that is SO much swimming!! Remind me, what's the plan here? Why oh why to you have to do quite so much>

Kiet said...

8K is a solid swim day Charisa. And my tip for the fly race? If it is shorter than 100, then don't worry about the hips and chest so much, stay flatter and rely more on your pull and kick. Race the underwater off the the turns, it's a good way to get some time without your competitor seeing you and reacting. Hopefully Mags isn't reading this too.

Mer! said...

Holy crap!! 8k??? I was a swimmer growing up and even during IM training, the most I swam in one day was a 5K!!!

You're awesome....and you're going to kick ass in 2010!!! (er, um, I should say "continue to kick ass!" =)