Friday, June 12, 2009

Oops

Last night after my run I couldn't find my phone. I finally found it, sparkly clean after being run through the wash.

I am tired. Between chaos at work, training and more work I am running out of time and energy. I fear my small and minoot social life may start to suffer. (The horror!!) 

My best friend Heidi and I always joke because we're both very talented at throwing a million balls up in the air and juggling them. I call her Martha (as in Martha Stewart). She works, bakes, makes crafts, and is the best mother I know to 2 kids (soon to be 3). I just work and train lots. Those lemon bars I made last week - the extent of my baking. I always tell her I don't know how she does it. She says the same.

Every once in a while we both seem to have all the balls we toss up in the air come crashing down on top of us in a massive heap. 

When she had her last two kids I was racing Ironman Coeur d'Alene both times. We had bets to see who would win - her in child labor, me racing Ironman. We are tied right now 1-1. This year she is again due to deliver her 3rd child the day of IM CDA. I told her I would go out and ride my long loop so we could race when she goes into labor.

As for the phone - I was thinking I might just return to 1984 and go without for a while. Until I realized I would be stuck on those rides where I require a meat wagon to come pick me up.

12 comments:

D said...

I would say the only reason I keep my cell is for driving and cycling mishaps. I never answer the damn thing when people call cuz I'm too "busy" ;)

D10 said...

Cute about you and your friend racing to the finish (you IM and she labor). Not sure who is happier with the win.

IAN said...

I DOUBLE DOG DARE you to try and go incommunicado for even a week. That is a DOUBLE DOG DARE!

Actually I take that back. You need a new phone stat so I can call u with CDA questions when I am freaking out.

Running and living said...

I absolutely hate cell phones. The only times I have mine on is when I go for a ride or a run. I already have a pager that I HAVE to have with me at all times, so if I can be without a cell phone, I take it.
Hope juggling will get back on track! Ana-Maria

t-odd said...

At least you washed your phone with the other darks. Now you can get yourself an iPhone to replace your dwindling social life. "Technology, the next best thing to being there."

Maggs said...

Think of all the free time you'll have with a cell phone.

Beth said...

iPhone! iPhone! ;) You'll have to let us know who wins - you or your friend!!

Roo said...

Maybe you should hire a personal assistant to answer calls, do the laundry, drive the meatwagon......

Jeffrey said...

I think you should definitely go phoneless for a while. You'd probably meet a lot of really friendly people hitchhiking back from the meatwagon rides. Phoneless, carless, and you should consider giving up electricity as well. Maybe just get one of those stationary bike power generators that would allow you to turn on your laptop and continue blogging.

Kiet said...

The dichotomy of race week is so weird. Your life is hectic trying to get ready for the race but once you're at the venue, everything is slow moving. Good luck Charisa, I can definitely say that it looks like you put the work in and then some. One ironman should be a piece of cake after what you did a couple of weekends ago.

Bob Almighty said...

We have all become slaves to the God Nokia. I was once stuck in that flat tire, no spare, no cell phone predicament but you meet somemany interesting people that way....

Good luck with the "labor" race..

also social lives are overrated they just fill up the gaps between training sessions...ok I will get out and try to reconnect with my friends, before I become a bitter old miser polishing an areo helmet, and talking to his bike frame.

ADC said...

Phoneless?? I would say iPhone!!!!