Sunday, June 14, 2009

Getting Lost

Yesterday Steven had a meeting in San Diego so I decided I would find myself some new riding scenery. I found a 100-mile "ride" that is done in March and decided to try to copy that loop, figuring the roads were probably decent if a century takes place on the route.


First stop was the Olympic Training Center. My hope was to ride around and check it out, but the guard at the gate said I had to take an "official tour." No time for this, so I hopped back on my bike.

On the blue planter beneath the Olympic rings it says "Amazing Awaits". I like this.

Part way through the ride I realized I was sweating all over my map and smearing the directions. Oops! Well, hills usually mean east, ocean west. I won't get lost.


The scenery was awesome. The climbing was tough. And it was one of the best rides I have had in a while. Just me, my bike and open roads. At one point the only car I saw over a 3-hour time period was a border patrol truck.

When I finally re-entered a town I reached a point where the next road on my map was not appearing in a timely manner. Realizing I was most likely lost I tried to figure out which direction I was going by looking at the sun, which was over my left shoulder. This meant I was going north. Doohhhhhh! (I needed to go south.) I pulled into a 7-11 to ask directions. Out front two ladies were selling strawberries.

ME: Can you help me figure out where I am on this map?
Lady #1: Ohhhhh no, we no live around here.
ME: Am I in El Cajon?
Lady #2: That's a nice bike! Did I cost you almost $1000?
My internal voice: Hmmm, how do I get them to focus on the issue that little white girl is lost and trying not to end up in Mexico?
ME: Do you know where Paradise Valley is?
Lady #1: Ohhhh honeeeee, you do not want to go there. It is GHETTO!
ME: Ok, so I need to go back that direction?
Lady #2: I used to be in shape like you, but then I had 3 kids. Look, now even my hands are fat! (She holds a pudgy hand up to my face).
My internal voice: Oh jeez, this is not working. 

The ladies were most helpful in trying to send me on the right path, although I had doubts when I rolled out of the parking lot that I had gained any insight.

Rain threatened for much of the day, but thankfully I only got sprinkled on.

As I finally rolled through the "ghetto" I was actually happy because I knew I was going the right direction again.

This is the elevation profile from the ride I had intended to do. I added about an hour when I got lost. I later figured out I'd made the wrong turn because I wrote the directions down incorrectly. Oops again!

It was indeed a most amazing and beautiful day on the bike. I can't wait to take some friends on the loop with me.

15 comments:

Kiet said...

First, you and I write directions the exact same way. Second, what the hell are you doing riding 100 miles one week out? I'm doubting your sanity Charisa.

D10 said...

Glad you found your way back! Sounds like you had a nice ride. I have found myself calling my husband to mapquest me back home.

Mama Simmons said...

That's a great story about the ladies in the 7-11! You should have told the one that having kids is not an excuse to let yourself get fat. :)
Glad you had a good ride!

Caroline said...

I'm game to join you next time :) Great riding girl!

rocketpants said...

It is nice riding out East. Been lost out there myself, but some great hills and nice wide roads. Athough last time it was boarder patrol who would get really close to me and my friend and then honk really loud. (we were riding single file too!). Glad you found your way back with out too, too much of a detour.

t-odd said...

Sounds like a great ride. If I rode too far south I would end up in Iowa. Mexico would be better, I think. I would love to ride that loop, except for the whole half a continent away thing. I'll just live vicariously. (Maybe you should get a GPS for your cockpit.)

Running and living said...

Glad you found your way. Your conversation with the "ladies" reminded me of Italy and how I would ask a question in a store and leave it after at least 30 minutes...Something nice about that, though of course not when you are lost:) Ana-Maria

Roo said...

Did you see the donkey? Jesse says there's a donkey named Jack somewhere on that ride. Maybe that's where you took the wrong turn?

solarpowered said...

Whoa! What a ride! :)

ADC said...

Nice ride. Can I come next time ? ;)

Beth said...

Oh that sounds like a beautiful ride on a beautiful day! (minus the getting lost) I'm impressed you found your way again. I might have sat down on the curb and just cried. ;)

Tawnee said...

What fun is a new ride without getting lost to spice things up? ha ha.

Hey, thanks for the discount code. I ordered a bike last Friday and called to use the code as soon as I saw your comment. It worked, and looks like you get a discount now too! Sweet!!

Thanks again.

PS- I took votes from friends/family and went with wasabi :)

GoBigGreen said...

Too funny. I usually get the "sit down you look hot. Eat something. you are too thin..." and then i try to redirect! I am glad those big clouds stayed put and didnt rain on you.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a great ride! So glad you found your way home though...sounds like you were kind of out there in the middle of a bunch of nowhere.

So I have a question...how on earth do you pack enough fuel for this type of ride? I could use your expertise.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

What an incredible ride! It looks tough but the scenery must have been amazing. It never surprises me what people will say to you when you are out on a bike - it is like you are a target either to get hit by cars or their crazy comments!