Thursday, June 11, 2009

Eeeek snakes!

I do not like snakes. They creep me out. I know many will not hurt me. I still do not like them. We have a lot of snakes around here and I like to trail run. Therefore, I see a lot of snakes.

Tuesday night I saw one of these. A harmless gopher snake. I screamed like a girl when it came slithering out of the bushes. Jeffrey can attest to this.

Last night on my run I came across a large fat ugly snake. I have no idea what kind, but it was alive and I did not stop to check him out. I jumped about 5 feet in the air and hightailed it out of his way. My heartrate got right up to where I wanted it without any effort on my part!

This morning on my bike ride - nice big fat snake on the road. Only this one was squished. Ewwwww!

I see a lot of these marks on the running trails - snake slithering marks. If you run on trails in snake country watch where your feet are landing!

11 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

Yet another benefit of living in Hawaii. No snakes. ;)

I would scream and jump too if I saw snakes like that... My HR is elevated just thinking about it.

Rebecca DeWire said...

Those snakes would freak me out!!! You are a brave girl to run in snake territory. I have had my share of snakes while training...and the worst is always the water snake that I came face to face with!

Roo said...

I was about to run one over the other day on my bike and some guy yelled at me. Yikes!

D said...

Thank you cold weathered PNW for not having snakes on my trails (at least not the ones I go to... way too cold even in the summer).

And just because I think it needs to be said every time snakes are discussed, "Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!"

ADC said...

My Dad got bitten by a poisonous snake long time ago - it was pretty close. Having lived in Borneo full of cobra snakes I am kind of used to them. But that doesn't mean I am not scared. LUckily no snakes in the UK - gotta love the island.

t-odd said...

WOW! Not many snakes here either. Some garter snakes and maybe a bull or corn snake, but I never see them because I never run or bike on trails. I'll show you what we get to swim with, though. Underwater, no one can hear you scream.

solarpowered said...

Snakes? Um, NO THANKS! One reason why I love my runs at the NJ shore.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

I just found your post about snakes after I finished writing about my friend who freaks out like a little girl when he spots a snake... LOL! We have them everywhere too :-)

Alaskan Assassin said...

I have nightmares about snakes. They are the thing I am most afraid of on earth.

I am always so scared when I run in California because of it. I have run into a ton out there on the trails and also scream like a girl everytime I see one. They give me the heebie jeebies.

Please no more pictures of snakes on the blog.

rocketpants said...

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!! I see the signs around 'advertising' them...and always hope not to see them.

Ordinarylife said...

yikes!!! I am not a fan of snakes. We have a few here, and I have seen a couple whilst riding and hiking, but fortunatly none yet while running.

If I did I think I would look more like a triple jumper than a runner.