Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hanging On!

I realized lately I have been studying and trying to master the art of hanging on. When riding with my fast friends I am usually trying to grab a wheel and telling myself "Just hang on!" When running track there are many times I do not want to hang on to the fast pack, but I know its more fun to run with others than by myself, so I hang on some more. In the pool I have become especially talented at hanging on to feet.

My hope is that all the hanging on can make me faster. Sometimes I think I may lose a lung, a leg, or even both arms, but then amazingly I survive and whatever I was hanging on to ends. The moment passes and my lungs are usually still working (although they might hurt) and my legs are still attached.

So I've decided to try to keep hanging on!

This is an actual gnome I photographed in Switzerland a few years ago. He still makes me laugh. He's hanging on, still smiling!

8 comments:

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

And for this reason - my friend - you are one of the fastest out there. You push where others would give up or drop back...you make yourself keep going. It's FUN for me to train with you - because I KNOW how hard you work... you deserve every bit of success because no one is out there working harder for it. Just hang on!!! NICE JOB! (I still think of your amazing Oceanside run...8 minutes down and you ran yourself into that spot. You inspire me!)

D10 said...

Whether you are hanging on or pushing yourself, you are digging deep down to be better, to test yourself and to prove to yourself that you can do it. Keep working hard!

Mama Simmons said...

You nailed that one! Hanging on definitely makes you faster! :) I think its especially fun when you can't hang on but you keep trying and then one week you finally do... that's cool.

t-odd said...

I would agree - hanging on definitely makes you faster. Pushing to keep up will make a huge difference when things get tough. And I would hate to do a track workout alone as well.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I am sure you are dong a good job making everyone else keep up with you!! Good analogy with the picture - that is too funny, what kind of game was that?

Shan said...

Based upon your performances at races, I would say that hanging on has done you well!!!!! :-D

Your hard work and willingness to be in the pain cave is very inspirational to us all!

Running and living said...

Hanging on to fast people is the way to get faster. I need to find myself some fast people to hang on to:) Ana-Maria

Caroline said...

Funny thing, I was thinking the EXACT same thing yesterday. After hanging on day after day I was about to bust. Nice work with your training. And so awesome that it has paid off for you when it really counts. ;)