Monday, February 16, 2009

500+ and TJ

Last week I topped 500 total lifetime bike commute miles. This is significant to me. Mostly because one of my original intrepidations involved the short distance of my bike commute. It seemed hard to make much of a difference by logging just under ten miles a day (when I swim). If I don't swim it's closer to five. So if I pretend gas is $2/gallon, which of course is not true in San Diego. But two is an easy multiple - that is $1,000 gas money saved already! Big bucks toward lattes, or a new bike!

[CORRECTION - apparently I need that Peet's coffee to open sooner rather than later] Thanks to Jeffrey - I now realize I have only saved $50 if my car gets 20mpg. I will keep bike commuting and have a more exciting blog post someday when I do save $1000!

I seemed to have solved most of my issues schlepping "stuff" too and from work. I asked this guy for some help and he showed me how to properly stack everything on my bike. I am so aerodynamic now it's amazing! You should also see the speed which I fly down the hill by the pool!

Carlsbad's very own Trader Joe's opened today! The only thing more exciting than this will be when Peet's coffee next door to TJ's opens in a few weeks!

13 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Good job, but you might want to check your math. $2/gallon, not $2/mile...

Maggs said...

I was wondering about your math too. I'm jealous of your Trader Joe's.

Renee said...

That is awesome! I have not been keeping track of my miles when I ride my bike to work because like you, it is a short trip! I may start doing that this year just to see how far I go! Congrats!!

cat. said...

keep it up, charisa. every bit DOES count.
and ... peet's is my a-#1 favorite of alllll the coffee chains. i have one a few blocks away, glad you're gettin' the goodness as well.
: )

solarpowered said...

That guy on the bike with all the boxes is a slacker. He could easily fit one or two on the front basket. Sheesh. :D

Great job on the commuting miles!

Mama Simmons said...

We dont have Peets or Trader Joes. Bummer!!

Nice job on the commuting. Biking is better on so many levels! :)

Beth said...

Saving money is saving money, no matter how much! Plus you are saving the environment too! :) (which means you should totally buy a new bike anyway :)

ADC said...

I don't think i've ever been to Trader Joe's. Must do it some time. The way I look at it here is how much I would say on subway going to work - £4.5 - roughy USD7. So I am happy. And of course I use that money for lattes :-)

Ordinarylife said...

Glad you could call on a friend to help you sort out your stacking problem. I am sure next time you see him he will probably have two people on the back as well. And perhaps a goat?

Shan said...

From one bike commuter to another - you rock!!! Even if you aren't saving that much $$, it's SO worth it - I can't imagine driving to work anymore...(unless it is downpouring) ;)

OHHH I love Peets!!! Congrats on the new TJ's, too - they have great blackberries right now!

Roo said...

Is that the same guy who tried to race you?

rocketpants said...

There's a lot of fun stuff that 50 bucks can get! That's nothing to scoff at...AND think of the other environmental things you are helping with, not increasing your carbon footprint, both by not emitting more carbon but also through the lack of use of a petrochemical that takes lots of carbon to produce. There is more saved than just 50 dollars. Keep up the cycling!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Ok, important stuff first...TJs and Peets together? Heaven!

And CONGRATS on the 500 mark! That's huge.