Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Losing the car

I want to lose my car. I found this blog from a guy in Minnesota (correction: South Dakota - somewhere WAY colder than San Diego!!) that rides his bike instead of his car even in freezing conditions. So if he can do it why can't I?

Well actually I've thought of a few reasons, but they seem really really lame! Here are a few of them:
  • It's dark now when I finish work. I suppose I could invest in one of those really bright lights, but is that safe?
  • Instead of missing about 1.5 hours at lunch when I swim it would take over 2 hours if I rode my bike to the pool. This seems like an excessive amount of time to miss work when it only takes me 7 minutes to drive there.
  • It does rain in San Diego occasionally. Actually I solved this one, I could run to work on those days. But then if I swim on a rainy day also I've got a LOT of running to do!
  • Schlepping my million and one items to and from work seems a bit trickier. (Laptop, lunch, swimming or running items, snacks, drinks . . . apparently I eat a lot!)
I have not yet given up on this plan, I think I just need to fine-tune it slightly. I'm currently trying to figure out how to move a dresser of clothes to the office. . .

8 comments:

Roo said...

You and Jesse need to trade tips on this one! He's trying to figure out how to ride to San Marcos and back every day! I figure I have a good excuse because it would be pretty awkward to ride around pulling my massage table! (I might get some new business though!

Maggs said...

you could start with just one or two days a week plan ahead with clothes etc. I used to do that and it was great. Now I work at home most of the time so I don't drive that much anymore. Good luck. I wish more people would seriously consider giving up cars at least part of the time.

Snakebite said...

That guy in Minnesota is actually from South Dakota (a friend of mine). But, you are on the right track about losing your car. I sold mine 14 months ago and have never looked back. I doubt I'll ever own one again. I know it's extreme, but just sell the damn thing. Necessity is the mother of invention. With no fallback plan (car to drive) you'd be surprised at how industrious you'll become. Good Luck!

Jeffrey said...

Consider a vespa or something yo.

Marci said...

I have often thought of biking or running to working. But lugging my laptop and lunch and marking would be the issue.

David said...

bsk is ready to give up or share my car as well...
he is about to order a dyno hub to generate his own energy to power the light b/c batteries are bad for teh environment... (thanks to big dave for educating bsk on this)...

we "got's-to-talk" about this "shiznit" and figure out a way to get to our "jizobs" and back...

kerri said...

I say go for it. You live in a PRIMO place to do it. HMMM, yeah, You defintely need some storage at work for the girly stuff, food stash, etc. Sounds like fun. Let us know if you figure it out. Good luck.

Hooterville Mayor said...

I don't commute much as I would need to ride about 5 miles on a state highway with 65 MPH speeds in the dark. Too chicken. But, panniers are cheap, easy to use, and you would love the reflection time to and fro I'll wager. BTW, our forecast for Sunday is 49 degrees, and the snow will be melted. Can you say ROAD RIDE!!!
(yup, I live just a few miles East of that Minus Car fella in South Dakota)