Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yoga talk

I enjoy yoga. I think it is good for me and counter-balances all my running, swimming, biking - everything else I do all year to make my muscles too tight. I do not however, understand yoga. 

I do not get the chanting. Does anyone even understand what is being said? 

And the yoga talk . . . I do not get this either. Rather than saying "we're going to move into the downward dog pose" it is "vanyasana sheshashana, vilo-ibrasana." (For those of you who actually understand yoga talk, I apologize for butchering it so badly here).

What is even more amazing to me is that everyone except for me seems to understand what the yoga instructor is saying! Does this just happen over time? If I went to yoga more than a few times in the off-season would I begin to understand what was being said?

The below drawing I made is a perfect picture of me trying to balance in yoga last night. Yes, my head is green - I like green - plus it makes me look more flexible like gumby!

9 comments:

Maggs said...

Haha. I went to yoga last night and we had a sub. She was into chanting and I kept thinking, give it a chance, don't judge it, just do it. She actually explained what we were chanting in English. I like yoga for the stretching, the strength, even the meditation/breathing/relaxation, but the chanting was a bit over the top for me too.

Christine Dammann said...

cha-ta-runga!
my least favorite pose is ut-ka-tasana- chair pose i HATE chair pose!! my favorite is sha-va-sana- resting pose :)

Roo said...

I don't get it. It sounds like the instructor yelled at you and Jo. What's up with that? Isn't yoga supposed to be all mellow and stuff? I know my body would love it if I joined you, but I have a feeling we'd all end up collapsing in laughter and getting yelled at!

Joanna Whiteley said...

i understood every word. you didn't? wtf?
:D

ps. i hate chair pose too...it looks easy but it huuuuurts!

forgingahead said...

I heart yoga but I do it in the safety of my own home where no one is chanting anything at me and I get to make up my own poses. I highly recommend it :-)

D said...

Cucamunga! I refuse to do yoga classes where chanting is involved. Partly cuz I don't get it, partly because I laugh and the yogi's might kick my ass.

rocketpants said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hear ya on the strange yoga talk. I only understand what they are saying because they say the same things over and over and afterawhile I can recognize that gibberish A = triangle and gibberish B = side angle pose. Chanting...also lost on me.

Glad you enjoy the rest of it.

Brooke said...

LOL!! I dabble in yoga but have never had a chanting instructor. I don't know if I could handle it ;)

Steve Stenzel said...

"plus it makes me look more flexible like gumby!"

HA! I've never been to a "chant-y" yoga class. I think I'll stay away.

And in your previous post, is that sign telling cars to not park on the bacon?

;)