Monday, January 19, 2009

Cycling Snacks

The more I ride my bike, the more I realize there is a massive variety of snacks that can be consumed while riding long. I tend to stick to boring bars, but have occasionally branched out to pretzels, animal crackers, home-made oatmeal raisin cookies, fig newtons or even Peanut Butter Jelly Time! My favorite is of course, Grandma's gingersnap cookies.

I have also realized bringing good snacks on a ride can change the ride atmosphere drastically!

Take your typical 100-mile ride for example. It's going to take some time. You are going to see some great scenery and chances are something exciting will happen along the way. You might flat, some moron may think it's hilarious to yell out the window as they pass causing you to nearly pee your pants, swerve off the road, or both. And you'll probably get tired. Or grumpy. Or . . . BOTH! (gasp!)

Now - same ride, but add in some delicious snack. A little bit better isn't it? So I've decided I need to branch out my snack options. And I need some help. Please share your favorite cycling food ideas with me. And remember - it has to fit in that little tiny pocket in my jersey. Oh, and I'm vegetarian - so I believe you that beef jerky rocks on a ride, but I still won't try it.

14 comments:

Maggs said...

curse you for posting a picture of the pink and white animal cookies...they are my downfall. I can eat an entire bag in one sitting...and I'd almost forgotten about them. I don't snack on rides. I eat/drink perpetuem all the time. Unless it's a ride to the shrimp shacks on the north shore, then we lunch on garlic shrimp and head home. Maybe I branch out too...I'll start with gummy bears (which have sustained me through a couple HIMs bikes).

LoveOfShoes said...

I am with Maggs, I can't go near frosted animal crackers- one 'serving' = entire bag.

I ate lots of dates on my long rides last summer- cut up into bite size pieces.

If you are near a Trader Joes, they have chocolate-covered peanut butter pretzels...AMAZING, and bite sized.

Oh, and chocolate or yogurt covered raisins.

Hooterville Mayor said...

I'm an old fashioned guy. I stop at "convience stores" for chocolate milk and cherry or apple pies... But then again, I ride a bent, so I'm a smell the roses kind of Papa.

Maijaleena said...

Those cookies look tasty! Not that I ever want to ride 100 miles on my bike, I'll just take the cookies please for my wussy 20 mile rides...

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

Mmm.. those cookies look yummy :-) I usually stick to gels and kids clif bars... Yes boring, but it gets the job done!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hhhmmmm.....so many delicious snacks to choose from! Animal crackers ARE great. However...I'm a sucker for Fig Newtons. Every time I've climbed Palomar, I get a package at the top - delicious! Peanut M&Ms are also a standby... BUT they melt. I know that Neuman's Organic stuff makes nice treats... :) Oh - and if you're creative (and coragous) you could always try Veggimite :)

ADC said...

I am boring - only stick to the Cliff Bars. But love stopping at the cafes for some cake or scones.

Ordinarylife said...

Hmmmm, you have put a whole different spin on long rides! I am going to have to do some experimenting.

One of my fellow cyclist brought a nougat bar on our last ride. I thought it was a fantastic idea instead of the standard energy bar!

So I see the shouting out the window or hooting is not restricted to South Africa?? On one of my sister's rides she had some guy lean out the car, whistle and smack her on her butt. She very nearly rode right off the road.

Roo said...

Homemade oatmeal cookies with M&M's in them, Swedish Fish, peanut butter....

I tried taking a turkey sandwich with me in my pocket once. Bad idea!

Shan said...

I second the fig bars, but not necessarily the Fig Newton brand - I like the organic ones you can buy at whole foods. I also have a great oat date nut bar recipe that is perfect for biking if you break it up into bite size chunks...and is great for recovery (with nut butter slathered on it) hehe :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Most excellent idea for a post! I plan to pull the best ideas and eat my way through my next ride!

Let's see, I'm boring. I eat string cheese and Kidz Cliff bars (chocolate brownie).

Clearly I'm not biking long enough to need interesting food but I'll get there!

I'm getting those choc covered pretzels!

D said...

Now I want cookies. Thanks a lot.

Bob Almighty said...

mmmmm beef jerky...
well I've never had it on a ride but do snicker's bars tucked into my bento box count for anything?

rocketpants said...

I just like how you say "take your typical 100 mile ride"...

I had the 'someone get unnecessarily close and honk their horn' over the weekend on my ride...and i was FULLy in the bike lane.

Nothing interesting here...gels and drink...but i'm going to have to mix it up soon.