Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bakfiets

Thanks to the Mayor for explaining that stamp from the Netherlands. I had never heard of a Bakfiets before. Que a bit more research. Turns out they are popular in Europe, particularly with the Dutch. I couldn't find a true definition (Wiki failed me!), but the Charisa definition of a Bakfiets would be a "cargo-carrying bicycle".

I think this one would carry at least three small children.
And inclement weather?
No problem - they make covers for these!
This one appears to be a huge recycling bin on the front of a bicycle. But ohhhhh, the possibilities of what you could carry are endless! Grocery shopping? Done! Your friend whose legs fell off on the long ride? No problem, just scoop him up and whisk him home!
And to think, I have been fixated on a fixed gear commuter bike.
Perhaps I should branch out?!


This clip just made my day!

Should you be in the market for your own personal Bakfiets, I recommend this site.

11 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing the joy. Note to all guitar hero enthusiasts...the guy on the bike wasn't really playing the guitar.

Eileen Swanson said...

HA! That is kinda cool ;-)

rocketpants said...

You could always combine the two...a fixie bikefiet?? ;-) It's not hard to turn a regular bike into a fixie. :-D

Roo said...

If you get one, you can do hill repeats with me in the recycling bin playing my air guitar. I'll even feed you snacks when you get hungry.

I can stop laughing at the image of you tooling around on this thing with a lawn mower in tow.

ADC said...

I should get one. And then I can take all my crap with me wherever I go. And you can put a lot of coffee in there.

Ordinarylife said...

Afrikaans (spoken in South Africa) is derived from Dutch and fiets means bicycle. A bak is a box or container so I guess a direct translation is a boxbike?

Looks like fun!

Snakebite said...

I was able to try a bakfiet last year in Portland during the North American Handmade Bike Show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snakebite/2258836731/in/set-72157603895067845/

They sell them and rent them at clevercycles.com there. When we first tried them, my friend and I took turns hauling each other. They handle remarkably well with 200 lbs of "cargo" in them.

What I love is my Surly Big Dummy which works with Xtracycle components.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snakebite/2675748852/in/set-72157606207245980/

This is my touring bike, my grocery getter, and a great bike. I highly recommend it.

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh my God. I LOVE those things. I mean, I haven't seen them before today, but I'm already in LOVE!

There needs to be a tri where everyone is required to bike on one of those! SWEET!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I agree with Steve: there needs to be a triathlon where we have to bike on one of those. I can totally see you commuting to work on this thing! :) EXTRA room for your coffee. Heck - you could just bike the barista to your office and then bike them back :). Oh - and that fixed gear bike is pretty sweet..... :)

Bob Almighty said...

Man it looks kinda like the bike used by the Hoyts.

On the one with the huge cargo bin I agree with the Barista comment I wonder if I should invest in one for New Zealand...or would my own personal nutritionist riding on the front of the bike be considered outside help?

gad2357 said...

See this:

Yehuda Moon cartoon