Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Quitting, Stopping, Throwing in the Towel

I find it hard to do. I do not like to quit. I somehow equate it to giving up. However, sometimes quitting is the smartest thing to do.

My coach has a rule on my hard bike sets: if I reach a point where I can't keep my heart rate up anymore, it's time to go home.

I had five sets today. On the fourth one the heart rate was waning. It was not terrible, but it was not heading upward in the direction I wanted it to. The legs were screaming and did not have the ability to drive the heart rate up anymore.

After an internal battle of "You're done!" and "Don't QUIT with only one set left!" I turned around and rode back to work. And felt like crying.

I think I made the right decision, but I think my head is getting in the way of smart training. Quality over quantity. And who knows, maybe this is the way to keep from getting injured!?

9 comments:

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

BRAVO to you for LISTENING to your body! That took a lot of guts - following a schedule and doing the workouts will only get you so far. If you're not SMART about the training, though - that's when injury, sickness, and over training occur. Even though you stopped early, I think you had a MUCH harder workout than if you had done all 5 hill repeats. The physical stuff is easy. Its the mind that really can make or break it.

Bravo Charisa - today you grew!

Roo said...

Good for you. I can believe it was tough. I had a hard time even doing an easy run after that track workout last night. I think you're right about listening to your body being the key to not getting injured! Sorry to hear it was tough, but you did the right thing!

Shan said...

Agreed! I think you totally made the right decision :) I'll go do that last repeat for you now...hehe

solarpowered said...

As much as I hate when it happens, I take a workout like this and recognize it's my body telling me it needs a break. Notice it's not telling your mind -- that's so you don't QUIT, you just give your body a break today. Then you get back out there tomorrow. :) You did the right thing.

rocketpants said...

I'm sure you will be doing them soon again and your body will be just a little bit stronger to be happy to push you through it. But it is hard to do. I had a similar experience this week at the pool where I was swimming like a rock and I realized that if I didn't stop I would probably relapse the cold I just got over. But I didn't want to stop...but I finally listened to my body and it was probably the best thing for it.

ADC said...

I know the feeling. But you did the best thing. Just listen to your body.

Ordinarylife said...

that's not quitting! Quitting would have been if your mind wanted you to stop and your body was still doing just fine.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I totally second what everyone else is saying...way more important to take care of your body so it can recover and be stronger tomorrow. Don't forget what amazing things you've done - your mind is strong too. And smart.

Bob Almighty said...

To quote a wise person
"quitting is a hard decision but in hindsight it's usually the right one."
I had a similar experience on my frigid ride in 20F weather...sometimes you just need to stop and take a quick breather.