Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dear Santa . . .

What bike-commuting girl doesn't need one of these?! HELLLLLLO fun! A nice fixed gear to make me strong (or embarrassed when I realize I can't climb the hill by my office in one gear and have to walk this beauty up.) And could the cup holder be any better? Upright to keep my java from spilling all over! I could have used those rain fenders the last few days during our most recent monsoon. . .
I ended up taking a 2-day break from bike-commuting due to our rain storm. Anywhere else in the US and every TV station would not have referred to it as "Winter Storm Warning" or "The storm of the century", etc. Granted, we did have a lot of flooding and since it hardly ever rains here it also means most people in CA have no clue that you should slow down when driving in rain.

This morning it was still wet out, but not raining, so at 5:30am I hopped on my bike in the dark, cold 40 degree weather (I know, more violins are needed) to ride to the pool. I missed the bike commuting and on the way to work the view was absolutely spectacular: huge puffy white clouds, snow-covered mountains in the background and wet, green hills. Everything had that crisp, clean look and for some reason I just don't think I would have gotten a full appreciation for it had I not been zipping downhill with the cold wind in my face.

6 comments:

Snakebite said...

Even if you're not fixed gearing, single speed commuting is the way to go. The way to determine what gearing you should get is to ride your geared bike in only one gear for one day's worth of commuting. Find a gear that's a happy medium between too slow and enough to challenge you. If you elect to go single speed - free wheel or fixed - take the bike you experimented with to your bike shop and show them the gearing. Or, just figure the gear inches (not hard) and tell them that. The simplicity of a single speed coupled with the athletic benefits is hard to beat.

Bandobras said...

Ah the simplicity of the single speed. Ever day after I get the fire lit rubbing 2 sticks together I don my leather, fur, and woven bark clothing and charge off on my single to find the day's prey for dinner. They make gears because we all ride in differing conditions. Trackies on the other hand, or foot do not. Enjoy the advances forged by our civilization. Then go back to your water droplet microscope and try to sell that.

rocketpants said...

I really...REALLY considered taking this bike and turning it into a track bike by putting drops on it and changing the gearing...no cup holder or fenders for the track...but my bianchi picked me. And in the end I fell in love with that bike.

Adams ave bike shop has it in stock in a 50 (i think it was...i'm only 5'4") but it fit me. I LOVE the green of this bike. The cool thing about this set up is that it is a fixed/free set up. so you can just flip the rear wheel to be either a fixed gear or a single speed. It is a beautiful bike.

Frank said...

Blingity bling bling, that's a shiny little thing! May Santa grant you your wish, more power to you for bike commuting and ride single if you like--you know, free country and all!
---
www.singlespeedrevolution.com
Ride One or Ride None!

Roo said...

I think UC Cyclery has it too. If you let me know what size I'll walk over and check! (Or maybe I should be emailing Steven and trying to set up a secret Christmas present from him?)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats on waiting out the rainstorm and then getting right back on the bike - cold weather or not!

Your dream bike sure is pretty!