Friday, June 14, 2013

Fly Fishing for Triathletes

Until last week I had never been fishing. Ever. Enter a recovery day. And Dave. And we had my first introduction to fly fishing. Of course, there was a bit of cycling thrown in as well - isn't that how triathletes fly fish?!

We set off on mountain bikes for about 1.5 hours up the trail to the good fishing spot. I bonked half way there so we stopped for snacks.

This is not where we fished. 
Fishing in water that moves this fast is a BAD idea.

Mountain biking for 1.5 hours makes you hungry. 
I recommend bringing a lunch.

I started in a wide open space - so I wouldn't get the fly caught on every tree within 40 feet of me.

And then I moved up stream.

The Zoot kit doubles as awesome fly-fishing attire. The pockets are perfect for holding extra line, flys, and Reeces Pieces (my fly-fishing snack of choice - the sun makes them nice & melty!) I recommend using the Zoot Ultra Speed 3.0 shoes as well - no laces to deal with, and they grip rocks perfectly to keep you from actually swimming on your recovery day. Swimming and fly-fishing do NOT mix - you will scare ALL the fish away.

I learned how to mend the line, and had two fish bite, but none of them stuck around. I think they were scared of me. Good thing about fly-fishing for a triathlete is that the river doubles as an ice bath - perfect for recovery.

I recommend bringing a hat to cover up your helmet hair while fishing.

7 comments:

Amy and Jesse said...

looks like the perfect recovery day! now i'm thinking about what I can combine an easy run with :)

cheryl said...

that looks awesome - beautiful country out there, and a fun way to spend a day off :-) enjoy the rest of your Montana stay!

GoBigGreen said...

Ok so...my dad is an avid fly fisherman:) I have been dragged into many a weed and high grass for those catch and release moments. I do think its an art!
And ...LOVE! the Gear West top, I have to tell Kevin that this guy is giving the shop some good PR!! WOOT!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Call Zoot
Tell them you have a whole new market for them....

jameson said...

awesome.

ketchikanalaskafishing said...

And that s what we call adventure! Not only you do fishing, but somewhat Triatlon as well.

Ketchikan Fishing Lodge

SilverKingLodge alaskanfishing said...

Fishing is one of the most amusing thing, which an individual do to relieve themselves from stress. It's good if you try to have a Fishing Vacation on Alaska.