Monday, February 18, 2013

2 Minutes

I had a ride recently that took all my focus and effort to just hang on. A rear cassette was all I saw for 97% of the ride.

And my hazy thought process involved this:
  • What am I DOING?!!
  • Do NOT let go, it will be 20x worse if you fly off the back and face the headwind alone.
  • Good God my legs hurt! Don't think about your legs. Don't think about your legs.
  • I'm still on this wheel!!!
  • WHY didn't I take up surfing or some non-pain-inducing sport??
  • WOW this is fun!
  • WOW this is horrible!
  • I wish I was on my couch.
  • There is no place I'd rather be right now.
  • I'm going to fall off, I can't hold this pace.
  • Two minutes, you can do anything for two minutes.
And every time I hit two minutes I somehow figured I could do two more. Endurance sports are awesome. You can always do more than you think possible.

4 comments:

Thomas Gerlach said...

True story. Love the post. Going to think about it next time I am in the box.

-TG

Lisa said...

Love the "2 minutes...you can do anything for 2 minutes". I may need to borrow that for a few "2 minute" intervals!

Matt said...

oh yeah, good times.

Wendy said...

In the 1999 Women's World Cup, sports psychologist Colleen Hacker had Kate Markgraf wear a hair band or rubber band on her wrist.

Every 2 minutes she was to snap it, as the 90-minute game was overwhelming for Markgraf.

Instead of focusing on the big game, Markgraf focused on 2 minutes 45 times (plus the extra time).

So, yes, 2 minutes is an excellent way of approaching something deemed "big" or other by ourselves.