Thursday, August 23, 2012

A LOT

There is not one magic workout or key to getting faster or stronger at Ironman. Mostly you will improve by putting in the time. A LOT of time. Quality workouts help and consistency is probably more important.

There are a few workouts that will go through my memory on race day. Last week included:
  • A pouring rain / thunderstorm run. A LOT of rain. It was very fun.
  • A long run where I was supposed to run a faster pace from miles 8-23. It was hot and humid and by mile 18 ninja Jeff and I switched to survival mode. Best decision all day. I'll try not to do this on race day. Wringing out A LOT of sweat from my shirt and flopping into a chair in the back yard post-workout with icy cold drinks was great.
  • Climbing out of what feels like death valley surrounded by crispy dead weeds, dry cracked dirt and an unforgivingly steep grade, dripping sweat all over my shiny Cannondale staring at a bike computer that reads 110°.
I have days where I can lead my lane at masters all day, and others where I can barely make base interval. I'm used to this - it is how my swimming usually goes. I keep trying to swim A LOT. And on those days where it doesn't work I have learned not to beat myself up. Because outside of the pool (and in it for that matter) nobody really cares if I can swim 1:25s all day.

If you are getting ready for your first or tenth Ironman - enjoy those moments when you realize this is all a bit crazy, the days you fall into bed asleep almost instantly, and the feeling that you can do more than you thought possible. Take a moment to thank those that support you - they put up with A LOT of crazy-athlete-ness. See you out on the race course!

7 comments:

Shevaun said...

I've been following your blog for a couple years. I am excited you are racing IMWI this year. I'll be there too. If I see you, I'll introduce myself. Best of luck for the next couple weeks of training and on race day.

Matt said...

Well said, great Post Charisa! So True!!

GoBigGreen said...

Good post, so true, nobody really does care! My dental hygenist told me the other day that her friend " did her first triathlon last weekend. It was an Ironman." I was like "um really?" Nobody knows:) nobody cares but us!

solarpowered said...

Great post. Thanks for the reminder that no one *really* cares how well I do, just that I'm out there doing it. A good reminder as I head into my first tri (just a sprint) since coming back from the broken elbow. Doesn't matter how well (or poorly) I perform -- just that I'm back out there :)

Alison said...

True dat! And what makes IM training so awesome is how much fun it is, even when it's really hard!

Home stay in nepal said...

ow!! Very nice your home stay site. My home stay in Nepal, Kathmandu
Home stay in Nepal
Mountians home the family home stay based upon kathmandu, Nepal at Gongabu, from the city center it is just 5 km.

Home stay in Nepal, book a cheap prices

Home stay in nepal said...

ow!! Very nice your home stay site. My home stay in Nepal, Kathmandu
Home stay in Nepal
Mountians home the family home stay based upon kathmandu, Nepal at Gongabu, from the city center it is just 5 km.

Home stay in Nepal, book a cheap prices