Thursday, February 16, 2012

Foundation

I've reached the point in base-building, foundation-laying, shoulder-season, whatever you want to call it, where I'm over it. I want to race. Except I know I'm not quite ready yet. Which is good, because my first race is not for a month.

There is only one time during the year when I get to lay down a solid base, work on my weaknesses (a LOT) and prepare the foundation for a solid season. I know this is an important time. The only problem is, I really really really love to race. It motivates me. It makes it easier to get up at o'dark-thirty to get into the outdoor pool when it is hovering in the 30s outside. I like seeing progress. I even like seeing those areas where I think I failed. It fires me up. And makes me want to work harder.

I can understand why many people do not like to "exercise". Unless you are on a mega weight-loss plan, there is no benchmark to charting progress. Sure, I suppose you can take a watch and clock your times, but I find much more satisfaction in toeing a line. Getting nervous butterflies in my stomach before the gun goes off. Leaving it all out on the course.

So for now, I must head off to the pool again (sigh...). I will continue counting down the days until I can toe the line. And come mid-season, be happy that the foundation has been built.

4 comments:

Steve said...

And that is where you and I differ. I like the training. A lot is easy... and I really am not that good... but I head out just like you to improve in non-significant degrees really, but improve.

Luv ya always Charisa. :) xoxo

GoBigGreen said...

Hang in there:) remember there is snow here, so at least you can be outside! Hope the glutes are working their,um...A$$'s off?:) LOL

ADC said...

The race season is nearly here so hang in there just a little more. This season will be amazing.

Jason said...

Not liking exercise? That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when they are talking about liking ponies and he says who doesn't like ponies.......