Saturday, February 11, 2012

Palomar & Pops

It's been two years since I climbed Palomar. I'm not quite sure how I made it so long without ending up on top of the mountain with my bicycle, but somehow I did. The mountain is never easy to climb, but I always love it.

Heading toward the base of the climb.

My Pops is training for St. George IM. I convinced him to climb with me today - two weeks in a row for him. The fact that I can drag my Dad up Palomar with me on any given day makes me happy.

One of the things I love about the climb is how much the scenery & weather changes over the course of 5,000 ft. elevation gain.

Looking down on the valley.

Headed into the fog-cloud.

Beautiful.

Several years ago the mountain burned. Some dead trees remain and provide a stark contrast through the fog.

At the top.

It wasn't my fastest time up the mountain, but it's also February. And seriously - any time I can reach a summit with hot drinks and a warm room to sit in while looking out at the misty fog roll by, it's a good day.

9 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Palomar was my first real climb. I came out with a bunch of roadies and quickly learned to descend without wrapping into a tree:)

J. L. said...

In awe over the climb. In awe at how you snap pictures while riding. In awe over the awesomeness of your dad. Looks like a great day. But I'm wondering how you got down from the top? :). I'm a girl that's afraid of downhills.

Steve said...

I don't climb with a bike too much, but I run hills, and I don't notice the scenery when I run hills. I notice the yelling in my mind of where is the top??? Why am I breathing so hard?? Why do I do this again??

Ahhhh yes, how great you feel when you finish. :)

solarpowered said...

The pictures, the climb are impressive.

The fact that you can experience this stuff with your dad is priceless. So awesome.

ADC said...

I love that you got to do it with your Dad.

Michelle said...

the fourth picture is really beautiful...i'm guessing the whole ride is (beautiful)..the fog makes it especially spectacular....looking forward to when it is warmer here and bicycling again

Kiki said...

that's awesome. I'm stoked your dad is doing SG since you guys both did my last IIM, it seems fitting that one of you is going to be at my return.

Jason said...

In my head I was saying: I hope there is a restaurant or something at the top to take the helmet off and reflect and lo and behold.....hot cocoa.

Very awesome pics once again.

Caroline said...

Sounds like a great ride! That's so cool your dad is doing IM St George!