Thursday, July 7, 2011

Just TRY


Just before the sun popped over the hill this morning...

All you can do is TRY. This has been the single sentence that has gone through my head many, many times all week. I have had a lot of workouts that on paper do not seem like they will cooperate with my tired legs. So I start each one just thinking "well, all you can really do is try..." and somehow they have all worked. I found watts and paces and other such numbers I really did not think were there. Only because I tried. And really, I think when it came down to it, I was ok with the fact that maybe on that given day my body wouldn't allow me to go the paces I wanted it to.

Sunrise over the lagoon.

A muggy, warm day on the bike.

Cedric and the QR enjoying the ocean scenery.

I will say though, try does not always mean fight through everything. On my brick run today I cut it short and decided my hamstring needed some attention in the form of rest and massage rather than pavement pounding. Don't be afraid to try. Don't forget to listen to your body.

14 comments:

Beth said...

Words to live by!!! Thanks Charisa!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So true!

Running Bums said...

You said it! Some days your legs just say NO! :)
(I'm right there with you this week!)

Teresa said...

Agreed!!! hope the massage was fab!
tn

Jill Costantino said...

great post! Hope the hammy feels better soon:)

Steve said...

The more we learn the less we know. :) In a manner of speaking. :)

ADC said...

I really needed this post right now. Thank you.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Tri is made up of trying... (heavy stuff, ehhh?)

And you never know... look at what Bree did this past weekend. An 18:50 or something PR in a local 1 mile ocean race where she was feeling less than stellar going in...

You never know... that's why you try.

Christy said...

Great post!!! Thanks!

Matt said...

Love the post. I hope you hammy is ok!

Lisa said...

Try is a small world with a big punch! Motivating post, thank you.

TRI714 said...

I have to say this often to myself as I sit in my backyard sipping coffee and pre thinking my run or ride. The option is quit and fail. That is not acceptable. I would rather try and struggle in a session, or be dead last, than to have just given up.
Not a sexy answer I know, but it's all I know.

Jason said...

Terrific message especially about listening to your body. We fail to do that as often as we should as endurance athletes. WE are always pushing and sometimes it is best to stop and look around and not push.

Thanks for posting.

GoBigGreen said...

Ahh yes, the dreaded " do i gut it out? or do i step it back?" conversation. Usually the right answer is what you chose. Glad summer has arrived:)