Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Try

You never know if you can do something until you try. There are times when you have to try, try again. I have been told I am talented at triathlon. To this statement, I tend to disagree. I simply have the ability to work hard, and try. A lot. There are many failed attempts, but when I got my pro card I decided I would never be afraid to try.

In the past I have seen my strength in the longer, Ironman distance races. However, I want to learn how to race fast. So this year I've signed up for a number of Olympic distance races. This is somewhat daunting, since the girls that do these races actually race in the Olympics. But I want to try. I want to learn to go hard and race fast. All-out fast.

There will be butterflies galore on race day. But you never know unless you try . . .

Steven took this picture during a race last year. It's not a butterfly on the flower, but a bee. Close enough - it fits with this post!

Don't be afraid to TRY something - anything new, different, scary, etc. this season. I bet you won't regret it!

14 comments:

Jill Costantino said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome - you will be great, you will be able to take away SO much from what you are doing. Contrary to what you believe - I think that you are pretty darn TALENTED!

Steve said...

all things are relative. You compare yourself with Olympians and other pros. Compared to others you are very talented. I don't remember the time of your 5K goal, but you know what?? I can try try try, but I am not even going to ever break 20:00 in a 5K. So the addage sometimes the best thing you can do is choose the right parents when doing these speed things. :)

That being said, I do work with someone who can probably run a 18:00 cold 5K, but doesn't run any, and doesn't train for any. What a shame huh? You are lucky in your interests coincide with what you are good at. Lucky you. How many others can be good at something, but haven't tried?? A lot I bet.

Have a nice day, and week, and race that is coming up. :)

ADC said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Running and living said...

Many times people use the "I don't have talent" card as an excuse, love how you used it as a motivator. Who knows where the talent is and who is talented or not? I, like you, believe that hard work trumps talent, in fact, hard work and perseverance trump everything else! Can't wait for your races. Getting outside your comfort zone is terrifying and exciting at the same time.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I'm just waiting for triathlon to follow in the foot steps of golf...

Super Senior Pro Division.....yup..
That I would TRI!!

Christi said...

YOu have the most amazing posts. Thanks!

Caratunk Girl said...

Charisa, this is so true! I love this post for so many reasons. I know too many people that are just scared to take that jump, scared to try. And I think really, what they are scared of is failing. But you only learn and improve by trying, making mistakes (& maybe failing), learning from them, picking yourself back up and trying again.

elizabeth said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. At work I have people ask me for sponsorship and all kinds of crazy stuff... I always tell them the worst I can say is "no". There is no reason not to try, we have nothing to lose. The worst could be a bit of humility, but that is just because of our ego. So get out there CW!! I'm tackling a couple shorter races this year as well :)

Andrea said...

Damn you're inspiring and motivating!

Thanks for the reminder. :)

A World of Gratitude said...

Thank you for the timing of this post. Tomorrow I jump back into class for the first time in 10 years to pursue something I love.

Class 5-7 nights a week may will allow me to dig into who I am and make that hard work pay off.

Best of Luck in all trainings and races.

Tonys Journeys said...

Love it, very motivating

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Alcatraz is my scary thing this year - turns out weekly swims in the bay are scary too.

Barbie said...

Awesome post. I keep trying to remind myself not to be scared about trying new things. To just keep trying.

Running Bums said...

Awesome! You make trying look like a hell of a lot of fun because you are always smiling and look so positive when you are out there:)