Tuesday, March 15, 2011

AZ Training

It is amazing how much you can cram into a weekend. There was a lot of riding and swimming, with a run thrown in.



On Friday we did a cool drill I've never done before. Two of us were connected with a stretchy cable and we had to try to swim away from each other as hard as we could to the opposite wall. You win by touching the wall.

Hard to see - but this is my horrible low-elbow arm position under water, while trying to pull my super-swimmer-TriSports-teammate toward my wall. I did not win this game. Ever.

More bicycle.

Good news is I'm pretty sure I now know why I am not a super-star swimmer. It's because when I was 14, I wasn't in the pool swimming toward the other end with a pulley system attached to me while I was raising a barrel filled with water, like these kids are. No. I was diving off the diving board. And if triathlon involved some twisty-turny-flippy-dives before entering the water - I would earn serious bonus points.

And now it's back to work, back at home by the ocean.

15 comments:

Christi said...

Those are some really interesting swim drills! I don't know if I could do all that. I might just drown.

SSB said...

Yikes. I thought you were joking about the barrel thing! We do that other drill at masters...and I inevitably get paired up with the coach who pulls me backwards. Swimming backwards is weird. Sometimes I'll start just a few seconds early so I know what it's like to move forward.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I miss Arizona this time of the year, not in a couple months though

I been swimming for a long time, even on swim teams, never seen those drills, they look like fun

Beth said...

I saw those barrel pulley things when we were swimming at that pool and I thought "now what in the heck might those be???" I too was doing cannonballs off the diving board at that age. :)

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Aha, that's the trick! Scary drills. Looks like you had a ton of fun!

Luke said...

I have seen the barrels at others pools and had no idea.

low elbow position..something I need to work on.

I would wint he cannonball competition if triathlon had it.

Teresa said...

Ha! I had forgotten about those barrels....and yes we were doing that! Your swimming is getting better and better....that's what counts.....next time you will have your pulley buddy wishing they had a different buddy! ;)

ali said...

It was such great weekend. Glad I got to meet you and share a swim lane. Good luck at the races and take care:))!!

Running and living said...

I predict great things for you this year! You are inspirational!

TRI714 said...

Go Charisa !! full steam ahead.

solarpowered said...

When I was 14 I was jumping waves in the ocean and learning to surf. No bungees between us and no barrels. My swimming is doomed.

Kiet said...

NIce work C, cool new shades there on the bike! Ha ha, glad you got to see the barrel pull, maybe you got to see the bucket pull as well?

Greg said...

I could use some of that sun right now, and the area you are training in looks fantastic. I am going to pass on the barrel swimming drill. Thanks for sharing.

ADC said...

Ha ha, love the new sunglasses.

Blogger said...

Sports betting system earn +$3,624 profit last week!

Z-Code System winning bets and predictions for NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL...