Monday, January 24, 2011

Comfort Zone

One of the things coach and I are trying to do this year is move me outside my comfort zone frequently. Another way to look at it is that I'm trying to reset "easy". I actually repeat this in my head when a workout gets tough, "Reset easy. Reset easy." And I am not just referring to sprints. There are times on long runs when it's not really a hard workout per se, but when I take into account the accumulated miles on my legs, it is an effort to keep my pace or heart rate where it is prescribed.

I was inspired multiple times yesterday as I cheered for my friends racing the Carlsbad marathon. They were all well outside their comfort zones. 

In the spirit of moving outside my comfort zone I've decided that this year instead of racing the San Dieguito 1/2 marathon, I'll race the San Dieguito 5k instead. The last 5k I did was a cross country race several years ago. Several years has not been enough for me to forget how much a 5k hurts. I will be testing the very remote edges of that comfort zone on February 13.

16 comments:

Steve said...

oooooh!! Good Luck, 5K's are the worstest. :)

Beth said...

Yep, a 5K wil definitely make you UNcomfortable! Love it! The good news is, it's over fast. :)

Bre said...

reset easy- I love it! just remember during your 5km, "We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are."

Teresa said...

You are being so smart! Balance on both ends of the workout spectrum. 5k...ouchie, ouch!!

tn

TRI714 said...

5k for pure sped. Nice way to reset ! Weather was off the hook huh.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I like this approach! Inspires me to reset my comfort zones too - I'll do that today in spin class.

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - I bet you will surprise yourself! That is AWESOME that you are giving yourself that challenge!

Andrea said...

I like that - "Reset easy".

Think I'll use it. Don't worry, I'll give you credit. ;)

Meg said...

That's so exciting!

m said...

5k's are probably one of the hardest races (I honestly think 400m races are the worst, but how often do we get the opportunity to do those as adults?)

Good Luck!

D said...

I'm with m... almost... I think the 800 is the worst. That one is just ugly.

I dunno what you're worried about... 5K's are wonderful. Just the most comfortable race ever! It's a good thing I'm not known for my sarcasm.

(seriously... WHY did I decide that I wanted to focus on that distance again?!!?)

Libby said...

5k's are definitely way out of the comfort zone!!! go charisa!!!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

COOL!! Funny that a 5k for you or even I is outside our comfort zone. A bit backwards, eh? :)

LOVE THAT - "reset easy, reset easy"

ADC said...

I love 5 km races. You will do great, as always.

Running Bums said...

Very cool Charisa! This is what I want to work on too!:) Good luck and have fun hurting out there!!!!

trimomremade said...

It's funny how the gateway drug of running, the 5K becomes the nemesis the longer you stay in the sport. I fight to put them in the schedule each year. Can't wait to hear about your experience!