Monday, January 24, 2011

Comfort Zone

One of the things coach and I are trying to do this year is move me outside my comfort zone frequently. Another way to look at it is that I'm trying to reset "easy". I actually repeat this in my head when a workout gets tough, "Reset easy. Reset easy." And I am not just referring to sprints. There are times on long runs when it's not really a hard workout per se, but when I take into account the accumulated miles on my legs, it is an effort to keep my pace or heart rate where it is prescribed.

I was inspired multiple times yesterday as I cheered for my friends racing the Carlsbad marathon. They were all well outside their comfort zones. 

In the spirit of moving outside my comfort zone I've decided that this year instead of racing the San Dieguito 1/2 marathon, I'll race the San Dieguito 5k instead. The last 5k I did was a cross country race several years ago. Several years has not been enough for me to forget how much a 5k hurts. I will be testing the very remote edges of that comfort zone on February 13.