Sunday, February 14, 2010

San Dieguito Half Marathon Race Report

This is Steven and I right after he PRd with a 1:34! The picture is tiny because I want to test your eyesight. And my camera has issues. One of my favorite races of the year came and went and it was everything I love about a race. Small, tons of friends, and a beautiful course.


The three musketeers reunited briefly. Kevin rocked a 1:18 and change, Ian pulled out with leg cramps at mile 4. Being sick the week before a hard race forced him off the course. Literally.

My time would tell you I had a good race - just 12 seconds shy of three weeks ago with 1:25:13. My legs would tell you otherwise - they just didn't show up to play today. They felt good around mile 9 for maybe a mile - and I'm pretty sure that entire mile was downhill. There was probably a tail wind too.

 
This is Katya and I about 400 meters from the finish. We were both trying to eek under 1:25. We both got soooooo close. Numbers aside - it was an awesome day. 

What is awesome about this picture is not that we match (although that does rock!) but that my visor looks like a cone sticking off my head. And Jeffrey has a vein the size of the panama canal sticking out of the side of his head in the background.

These are just a few of the friends that make this race great. Iso (the one with the blue ribbon around his neck on the right) raced this crazy Minnesota Ultra last week and the Brazil 135 the week before.  He has his sights on Badwater. I have no doubt he will be great.

23 comments:

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I know you said your legs didn't show up for the race, but Oh My God...you are so fast! I wish I had your speed! Congrats on your 1/2! :)

D said...

That'll teach someone to start getting out in the rain and training in the real world.

Nice work out there!!!

TRI-ROB said...

Huh. I think I'd LOVE for my legs to NOT show up and pull a 1:25... uh. yeah. I would! Nice work there Pancho! (I dunno... I just came up with that... it might stick)

Breathe...

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You my friend are looking lean and strong girl!! Howdy to Steven and Kevin for me - CONGRATS to them both! You too!

Kiet said...

Charisa, besides the cone visor, you're also looking lean and mean in that pic.

rocketpants said...

Nice job out there! I looked for you as I knew you'd be doing it...but had to bold pretty quick after the race. Sounds like yours went pretty well.

ADC said...

First of all huge YAAAAAY for Steven. That is an awesome PR. Give him couple of years and he will be up front, I bet. Second, you ROCK. Great time, ignore the legs ;)
Third, just look at that weather. I NEED that weather. Pehaps I will come out and train :)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

In our running club in Houston (5 yrs ago) we had a name for you guys.... Gazeles ! And I mean that affectionably. Way to fly.
Cheers!

Running and living said...

You are all muscle, Charissa! V strong! And 12 sec from last 1/2, on a much tougher course, is great, particularly since The Legs did not cooperate!

Runner Leana said...

Sorry to hear your legs decided not to show up to the party! Oh well, congratulations on the race regardless, and a huge congrats to Steven on his PR!

Rebecca DeWire said...

You look greats in all your pics and congrats on an awesome time even if your legs didn't feel so awesome.

Lisa G said...

Wow - that is so awesome! Way to go Ms. Speedy!

Meg said...

Yeah for Steven, that's an awesome time! That was so fun yesterday and I couldn't believe Iso...I just can't believe him!! Congrats on your run too!

kera said...

you are AWESOME LADY!!!! i say it ALL the time....such a great athlete!!! i've been training again for an upcoming 1/2 in april and i'm working hard to squeek in under 2hours.....and you with 1:25!!!! sounds like a fun weekend! oh and YEAH for steven's pr!!!

Kim said...

That is so fun Charisa! Glad you had a great day and you pushed through the hard stuff to make it happy! Really proud of both you and Steven! Keep up the great work lady!!

Beth said...

Nice! I'd say a 1:25 on tired legs on a really hilly course = huge success! It's hard to push on those days but you sure did a great job! Congrats to both you and Steven and glad you guys had such a great day with all your friends! :)

solarpowered said...

Wow! Fantastic! Congrats to S and your friends, too. So fast!!!

Alaskan assassin said...

Great report and congrats on the race.

Both my teammates/friends (Zach, he won the Min race) and Brian, top American at Brazil) had mentioned to me about your friend that did both of those races back to back. What a small world.

Teresa said...

Awesome job out there!!! Keep it up!!
tn

Mama Simmons said...

Congrats!! I'm with ya on the fun of local races... :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Yea! YES- it was a beautiful race site - holy hill at the end Batman! :) NICE JOB - and congrats to Stephen as well - awesome!

Kim said...

woot woot! awesome job speedy! you look great!

Johnna said...

Great race out there!