Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Amazing Race

I decided tonight my Dad and I need to have a race. We have not gone head-to-head since last year, so I figure it's time.

We are going to race to track. He will be in his car. I will be on my bike. We will travel roughly six miles. During rush hour. Side roads can be used. This final rule may be my downfall.


My Dad will have to sit in traffic, park his car, wait for the light to cross the street, then walk about 400 meters up a hill to the track.



I will have to time-trial like mad to the same location, but get the luxury of not sitting in traffic, hopefully hitting all lights green, and can ride my bike right up to the track.


Should he win, my Dad has requested an Apple Fritter from a very specific Solana Beach Donut Shop. He was so bold as to say "I think you should just go get it right now," to me this morning. I still think I can pull this off. Should I win this amazing race, he will be purchasing me one of those froofy blended coffee drinks. With whipped cream on top. And chocolate shavings. Bragging rights go much farther than prizes though.

I'm also pretty sure I won't need much of a warmup when I get to track tonight.

18 comments:

Lisa T said...

Your dad is awesome!

MM said...

If your traffic is anything like our traffic, you've got this race.

Angela and David Kidd said...

Good luck! I forget the name of the BBC show but a car raced a marathoner over 26.2 miles in London traffic. The marathoner kicked the cars ass!

Kim said...

So fun! Good luck and be careful!!

Kim said...

go charisa go! but be careful!!!

GoBigGreen said...

Ooh double or nothing, you could get the fritter AND the coffee drink, but that maybe a sugar high disaster riding home. Good luck!

dave1949 said...

In any good race bragging rights always trump the prizes.

My bet is on the fast chick on the bike.

Eric Chebi said...

Nice... Be sure to give us an update on who won.

Meg said...

Gosh, I won't be there tonight, darn! Let me know which drink you picked out and how it tasted! I think you'll win...no, I know you'll win! Props to your dad though, he's going to give it his best shot!

Beth said...

Oh I can't wait to see who wins!!! I hope a full race report will follow. ;) Good luck!

Running and living said...

Let us know what happened! Such a great amazing race!

t-odd said...

Which bike?

You and your dad are so cute. That's awesome. I hope you win - nothing against your dad.

(My word verification is a very racist, politically incorrect "chink")

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

The race is done by now, but a pulled spark plug wire might help...

rocketpants said...

Who won??

Teresa said...

Will he have to wear a splish suit or something...oh wait..thats the other competition. I see where you get your drive. Dads rule...

tn

D said...

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of this one!

ADC said...

You two crack me up.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oh what fun! I see now where you get both your wonderful sense of humor and your wicked sharp competitive streak!