Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Amazing Race Report

If you missed the explanation of The Amazing Race, please read this first.

This is my Dad prepping his transport. I might get coal for Christmas for posting this photo, but it made me laugh, so I figured it should be shared.

 
At exactly 5:10:06 we took this photo, and we were off for the track.

FIVE! That is the number of lights I got stuck at on the way to track.Traffic was lighter than normal (I'm blaming President's Day weekend), which definitely helped my Dad. At one point I came up on a Jelly Belly Team rider. I was hoping he would pull me, but he seemed to be having mechanical issues with his fancy bike. I asked if he was ok and then yelled "I've gotta go, I'm racing my Dad and he's in a car!" thinking to myself this must sound absurd. Jelly Belly boy got it because he yelled back "Ohmigosh, GO GO! Be careful, I hope you WIN!"

Twenty-two minutes after leaving my office, I arrived at the track and thought I might have won since I didn't see my Dad standing around gloating. 

But then I saw him - lounging.

He beat me by 2 minutes 56 seconds.

I will be riding my bike down to Solana Beach tomorrow to retrieve one large apple fritter. Hope it doesn't get squished in my pocket! Oh, and you better believe there will be a rematch!

23 comments:

James and Lindsay Cotter said...

haha! Thats awesome!
LC

Kim said...

HILARIOUS!

i initially laughed seeing your dad was wearing workout clothes for "the amazing race" but it looked like you kids had a track workout after?!

i hope you kept to the speed limit :)

Jill Costantino said...

Too Funny!

t-odd said...

That's awesome! Sorry you didn't win. Best two-out-of-three, right?

Snakebite said...

OK, traffic signs and signals were designed with cars in mind, not bikes. You need to "Idaho Stop Law" it (go ahead, Google that term). Treat stop signs as yields - as in be ready to stop if there's a car coming. And, treat stop lights like stop signs. Come to a stop, look both ways, hammer across.

We'll turn you into an urban commando yet!

Beth said...

Darn it!! You'll get him next time!!! And you gotta say - the fact that he only beat you by ~3 minutes is pretty impressive. That's just the difference between 1 or 2 red lights! ;)

Angela and David Kidd said...

Too funny! Your relationship with your dad is awesome!

Jon said...

Next time you'll take me up on my offer to drive in front of him in my vw van :)

Yasi said...

What a fun idea! I think a re-match is definitely in your future. Presidents Day is totally to blame for light traffic!

Teresa said...

Too funny. I love it...double or nothing!

tn

MM said...

Next time let air out of his tires.

jessica said...

Thanks for the compliment on my mad play-doh skills :) I'm also looking to profit from other such marketable traits as "speedy crossword puzzler" and "best opener of jars."

I LOVE your blog and your attitude, by the way, but have been too shy to comment before.

Oh, and beat that Volvo!

rocketpants said...

Only by 3 minutes? That was just a warmup. 5 traffic lights? Better to make him think he has a chance and get him next time!

Meg said...

Gosh, I SO thought you were going to win! Oh well, good for your dad :) !

ADC said...

Your dad is awesome. And funny too.

Ordinarylife said...

Drat - rematch, maybe best of 3???

You need to plan better though next time. Peak traffic days or something.

Pamela said...

Mmmmm...apple fritter. Even if it IS squished...

GoBigGreen said...

Bummer. Glad you got there safely:)

Lisa T said...

and your dad didn't even get his heartrate up!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

haha, you and your dad are soo cute! I agree with Pamela: mmm... apple fritter!

Kim said...

So fun! Your Pops is impressive.. give him a high five for me!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Clearly he rigged the lights!

Jennifer Harrison said...

HA! awesome! I have that same Twin Six jersey!!! :)) YAY