Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Riding

It was 36F when I left my house to ride this morning. I know, I know, I'm spoiled. I ride outside year round. And I wouldn't change this for anything. I have also realized there was a time growing up in Chicago when I would have considered this temperature to be warm for training. I guess it's all relative...

Winter riding in CA means green hills, orchards speckled with bright oranges, and crisp blue skies.

It means we wear more layers (2 pairs of gloves for me today!) and as Fast Brian put it, bust out the lobster mittens that make it hard to shift.

And walking out the door to ride when you see the furry warm cat makes it all the harder to get on the bike. But the post-ride coffee is always 10x better after those chilly mornings. Enjoy the ride!

14 comments:

Beth said...

Hey, I'm from a cold place and I would consider 36 cold for RIDING weather! Of course 36 for running = shorts, but riding is a different story! Love the picture of Tiptoe! :)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Coffee?? Only if there is Bailey's in it after a cold ride. Probably going to be 50F here tomorrow morning when I ride. I guess I will have to grin and bear it... brrrrr

GoBigGreen said...

Oh so jealous of open clear roads! Glad you got out Charisa!

Aimee said...

That is so awesome that you get to ride outside year round!
That area looks so beautiful!

Andrea said...

That's it! I'm moving to California!! More so for the green scenery year-round. (We were lucky today - it reached 62 in Kansas City.)

Kiet said...

Have only made it outdoors twice in the past 10 days, but then again, I prefer to ride indoors, must be that crazy hamster thing I like. Thanks for the that pic, trying to upload it but for some reason, the airport wifi is not allowing me.

TRI714 said...

I too rode in 2 pairs of gloves this morning. Greetings from Huntington Beach. Did you guys have the wind also?

Steve said...

:))

Christi said...

I have done some chilly rides like that myself and it is always my fingers and my toes that get the coldest!

SSB said...

I don't think 36 degrees is spoiled. But not having rain is :-) Happy New Year!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

36F is SOOOO cold - that's about what it is right now and I am freezing. It was super windy and cold (it was SNOWING just 10 miles north of me) outside today that I may have driven to the gym and run on the treadmill for only the 2nd time this year! Summer at 110F - sure it's supposed to be that way. AZ winter at 35F-45F and windy - no way jose. You're a tougher lady than I. :)

Caratunk Girl said...

I will run in any temp, I will bundle up and go out and run in negative numbers without thinking twice. On the bike?? It gets near that 30 number and I turn a little wussy unless I have someone CALLING me a wussy for not going. You rock.

Matt said...

oh how I wish for 36 degrees and dryer rodes...Havent riden on the Road in over a month :(

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

It's been about 32 here in the morning and I've been waiting each day for it to warm up a bit. Today it got EVEN COLDER! Yikes.