Sunday, August 1, 2010

Next Up

The week after Ironman is luxury. I sleep in every day. I go to the pool and if I get tired of swimming after 1000m I get out. I attempt yoga. (Unsuccessfully). I have yet to run since last Sunday's race. Today I'm going on a bike ride that involves a stop at a bakery. A week of "fun recovery" leaves me excited to train hard again. It also gives me time to think about what races I want to tackle.

And since I seem to enjoy getting my butt kicked by racing against short-course girls (errrrr a good challenge) I figured what better race to work on my speed than at the SF Triathlon at Alcatraz. And really, who doesn't want to jump off a boat into shark-infested, cold waters with fast-moving currents 1.5 miles from the shore of San Francisco? (Ian). The bike is twisty and technical. The run is hilly and there is a sand-covered stair ladder. Quite honestly I think it's one of the best, most fun races out there.

And once I've mastered the technical descents around the Presidio in SF, I figured I'll be all set to tackle the exit from T2 in Wisconsin.

I learned a lot at Lake Placid. I love the IM distance, so I figured let's give it another go. But first I have a few bakeries to visit by bicycle...

18 comments:

Kiki said...

Sweet, another Ironman! Makes my post race plans seem rather lazy, good thing I am okay with that! Can't wait to hear all about jumping off the boat, that seems scary....

Teresa said...

Super fun stuff! The bakery that is ;) tn

Beth said...

Fun stuff - bakery and races!! :) Can't wait to hear about jumping off the boat...brave! :)

Megan said...

I loooove IMooooo!!! It was my first IM. If you need any heads-ups on the course (I previewed it in August before I raced it last September) hit-me-up (and if you want to know where the good bakeries are in Madison, I know that info too). YAY Midwest!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I am so damn old, I did EFA when the race went over the Golden Gate Bridge and the run was in the Marin Headlands.. They stopped the GGB crossing the next year because two athletes went over the wrong side of the bridge and were running across all lanes of traffic on the other side to get back on course.... the CAL DOT people did not smile at that one.

Lots of fun on the next IM.. Wisonsin is supposed to be the best (spectators)

Libby said...

fun races coming up charisa!! I totally want to jump off a boat into cold shark infested waters. tell ian to man up :) lol...
I'm so jealous I won't get to be racing in wisconsin with you. its incredibly beautiful, you won't forget it and the crowds are insane. can't wait to see you kick some more ass coming up! enjoy the recovery!

The Navarro Family said...

I follow your blog, you inspire me!! And dirk is coaching me too for IMWI!!! So excited!! Just did the bike course this weekend and holy hills :) good luck!!!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Cool! I looked at doing the SF Alcatraz Tri myself, but,...it's freakin' WAY too expensive! ~$350 for an OD! So...maybe next year.


YOU will ROCK it!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Meg said...

So, you're not only smart, fast, fun, friendly, athletic and strong BUT you're BRAVE and fearless, too?! I'm bowing to you right now...

Black Knight said...

A week of fun recovery is a gift from heaven! Congrats on ... everything: races, trainings, smart recover,programs, pictures ...

FLATOUT JIM said...

Yeah, I think for a speed workout, I'll do escape from Alcatraz.

In the meantime, have a blueberry scone for me!

ADC said...

Wow, it sounds awesome.

martin briars said...

i read about the Alcatraz tri - it sounds fantastic (just a bit too far away for me i'm afraid!).
I was talking to a friend about this race billed as the world's hardest triathlon - looks really tough !
www.nxtri.com
enjoy the rest and the bakeries !

m

martin briars said...

i read about the Alcatraz tri - it sounds fantastic (just a bit too far away for me i'm afraid!).
I was talking to a friend about this race billed as the world's hardest triathlon - looks really tough !
www.nxtri.com
enjoy the rest and the bakeries !

m

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Yay! Charisa is coming to SF!! You are going to have such a blast in Alcatraz - I can see you laughing several times along the way. The course is made for a big dose of laughter to face down our darn hills.

I'll be thinking of you as you bike through your bakeries!

GoBigGreen said...

OHH I may have to go to Madison to cheer you on. I was maybe going to sign up for 2011 and if i see a big old Grin on your face while you are racing it may seal the deal.
Enjoy the coffee rides this week! I have a few planned as well!

Lisa T said...

Yikes- sometimes I get out after 1000 even when I'm not recovering! Rest up!

solarpowered said...

Yay! I love your plans!