Friday, May 28, 2010

A Long Run

For the entire first two hours of my long run this morning I wrote this blog post in my head. It was going to be titled "The Terrible, Awful, No Good, Very Bad, Long Run". Except when I hit the 2 hour mark and had to pick up the pace, amazingly things got a little better, hence the title change.

This is what I looked like for the first two hours. My legs hurt. My heart rate didn't want to work. I kept looking for a reason to cut the long run short. Except I couldn't find one. I wasn't injuring myself. I wasn't sick. And my pace wasn't even completely terrible. So I kept running.

And during this entire process of me feeling like I was having a terrible, awful, no-good, very-bad run, it dawned on me that this exact feeling would most likely occur at some point in my Ironman, and that this was in fact a great run because I was practicing my-legs-feel-awful running.

At two hours I picked up the pace as instructed. And my legs started to feel slightly better. Not amazing, but better. My pace and my heart rate were nowhere near where I wanted, but in week 3 of a 4 week build, I guess sometimes I can't be too picky.

When I got home I had a bloody sock. How I can run nearly 22 miles and never feel my little toe bleeding everywhere is beyond me, because just sitting down right now it hurts.

Hope everyone has a great long weekend. I will be trying not to fall of a train of fast boys on bikes tomorrow. Oh joy!

8 comments:

Kim said...

We all have those, but you stuck it out! Way to go! Are you coming to BSLT 70.3 this year?? Had fun seeing you do so well there last year! I'm hoping to have one of those please! Love the close up toe shot and the green nail polish! Great Training my friend!! Keep it up!!

SSB said...

Nice job on the run. And the toes.

Running and living said...

what i want to know is how do you manage to keep all your toenails? seriously! i lose 2-3/marathon training cycle!

Beth said...

Way to keep at it! I think that often too - when my legs feel like pooh on a run -- "well, this is good practice for running on tired legs"!! :) And oh the toe...ouch. You must have been in the zone. :) Heal up and have fun riding tomorrow!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I usually find that if I stick with a run/bike ride that starts out not too good, that by the end I'm always glad I finished what I started. I'm glad you ended up having a good run!

Jill Costantino said...

Nice run!
Totally love the "heart shaped" scone Steven made you. Have a super weekend!

Kiet said...

Oh Charisa, you felt your toe bleeding but you have such a freakin' high pain threshold, so you just kept going.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Ouch! Congrats on pushing through the long run and I hope those lovely green toes heal up fast!