Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Listen

I am still learning to listen to my body. It can be hard. I want to push the limits, see how far I can go. And make sure I am ready when race day rolls around. But I also want to be able to do the sports I love for a long time. Sitting on the sideline watching a race because I got injured is not how I want to spend my time.

Last night at track I wanted to run hard. But after a week of throwing my body through numerous workouts that pushed some comfort boundaries, the legs did not want to move, let alone move fast. Track turned into a recovery run.



On some days, off the back is sometimes right where I belong. And I'm learning that if I take care of my body and let it go slow and rest and recover, a girl can at least dream of riding off the front.

11 comments:

Beth said...

Very well said! I think the hardest thing to do in sport. Easy to push right? Much harder to realize your limits...but only for good because once you realize the limits and respect them, you can go busting right through them next time around! Hope you are feeling recovered soon!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

LOVE it! Hard lesson to learn/figure out.

MM said...

If you hit every workout then you're not pushing yourself as much as you can. Sometimes you need a rest.

You'll be off the front when it matters.

Jon said...

Agreed.... you gotta rest when the body needs it. You're gonna rock it when the time is right!!!

Running and living said...

I agree, but it is so hard!

Mama Simmons said...

Smart. Very smart. :)

GoBigGreen said...

Funny how if you can let that urge pass, the urge to push it just a bit too much, it is a distant memory about 48 hours later and off you go:)

Kiet said...

Thinking like a "pro" there Charisa.

ADC said...

Beautiful photo. As for the content of this blog post, enough is said before me.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That sucks, but at least your smart about it and getting some rest.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Beautifully written Charisa - you are wise and fast!