Thursday, October 22, 2009

Green Animals

When you work with microscopes on a daily basis, finding random bugs around the office can be fun. The tiniest of spiders look absolutely terrifying under a microscope! Yesterday we found this praying mantis. Except he can't pray like his fellow mantis friends do because he is missing a hand. I chased him around the office like a crazy tourist with a camera. Then we set him free to the great outdoors.


Today was the first day I got up before the sun since my 4am wake up for that race a few weeks ago. I went for a run and the sunrise was beautiful. No watch, no heartrate, just my legs taking me where I felt like going. For the first time it felt like fall to me. My hands got cold when I ran through a valley by the golf course.

These are my final gecko photos from Hawaii. Actually I have a few more photos I'm saving for T-odd in January when he's whining about snow and ice and slushy fun while running.

10 comments:

t-odd said...

Thanks! So I have THAT to look forward to. Up here it feels like I am ALWAYS up before the sun.

Poor one handed mantis. Now that he is free he can have his head eaten by some female - awesome.

Mama Simmons said...

A couple of those geckos live in Moana's bathroom- we look at them every night after she takes a bath and guess what her first word was? "Ge-ko" ;)

Teresa said...

Glad you found that thing in your office and not your home...unlike the geckos being everywehere at "that race".

tn

Roo said...

Glad to hear you saved something to torture T-odd with.

Alaskan Assassin said...

Love the pics!

Glad you let it fee instead of killing him.

Alaskan Assassin said...

I meant free. Let him free.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I can visualize you chasing that insect and giggling the whole time! Love it!

MM said...

they aren't so green over here. The ones on the BI are much prettier. i can hear Ian saying green animals over and over.

D said...

Oooooh... I know the PERFECT week for you to post those photos!! ;)

Heidi Austin said...

love your photos! thank you for sharing :)