Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall Taper

Fall often equals "taper" - whether it be for Ironman or a marathon. It's the time when my head starts playing tricks on me. Am I training too much? Maybe I am not training enough? Why does my knee hurt right there? What, you say you're sick, or have been in the past 5 weeks? STAY AWAY!!

Some fall from my recent Chicago visit.

But in the end all is fine. My mini aches and pains are normal. I know I trained as much as work, life, etc. would allow. I will go race Kona knowing that at this point in time I did everything possible to have my best race on that given day.

To keep the taper exciting (!) I decided to throw in a little race this weekend. Because really, there is nothing better to prep myself before the big dance than getting my butt kicked in a race that will take less time to finish than most of my recent runs have taken!

14 comments:

MM said...

I think it's funny you and Ian think you're gonna get your butt kicked thus weekend. You guys ate gonna kick ass out there. Want anything from Hawaii? That you can't wait 2 weeks to get :-)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I love the fall colors! Have a blast this weekend - I think your plan is brilliant.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You'll do GREAT this weekend...just knowing that your race is shorter than your recent long runs. Priceless :) Yup...those mental games are the same with me as well...every little twinge and I'm like "woa!"

ENJOY this week!!

Beth said...

Oh yeah!! I will get to see you again (hopefully). I am racing too!!! See you soon! :)

Meg Runs said...

I think this weekend's little dance will help you with the big one...or at least distract you from it this weekend! Have fun, I'm sure you'll do GREAT!

Megan said...

I felt so sore and crappy before IM. I knew it was normal, but I was still anxious about it. "Why am I not biking faster?" "Why is my shoulder so achy!?", and my least favorite: "Why am I so grumpy?"

Good luck with your taper. You are going to rock it. You've got the experience under your belt!

Mama Simmons said...

Have a great race this weekend, Charisa!

Lisa G said...

An Olympic distance race is always fun, especially when you have been training long distance! Have a blast out there!

t-odd said...

It always makes me feel better to hear that other "taperers" (I just totally made that word up) feel the way I do. Basically, sore, paranoid and filled with self doubt.

Good luck at your "little" race. BOUS - pretty much describes you. Is Maggs going to be there, too?

Teresa said...

Ha...Mark gives me such a hard time during taper..."this hurts, that hurts" that is all he hears for weeks. He just blows it off...not good for the relationship :)

It is all part of the taper! Good luck this weekend. There is a TN multisport girl racing. I will tell her to say hello!

Taper on!

tn

Kim said...

Enjoy your taper! You've worked so hard and I just know you are ready!! I hope the race this weekend just proves more of the same for you! You're having an awesome year Charisa! GO GO GO!

Roo said...

Good thing you weren't there pool running with us when Kin'dra let us all know that one of her kids was in the hospital with swine flu. I checked my temperature for days after that!

IAN said...

Lets get our HURT on!! You too Maggs. I want every second of Sunday to be pain!!

Runner Leana said...

Woohoo, best of luck at the races this weekend!!! And bring on the taper too!