Monday, July 20, 2009

Vineman 70.3 Race Report

I went to Vineman this year knowing it is my final 1/2 Ironman of the season and really just wanting to finish off the goals I had set for myself this season at this distance. I started with five goals and there were only two that were still illusive after the previous 70.3 races: the sub-30 swim and breaking into the 4:30s.

I also went to Vineman to hang out with my friends and try to defend all the trash-talking that went around. The night before the race we all had dinner (Thank you Ian!!) and multiple bets were placed. I spent much of the day trying not to lose bets with my friends, and laughing whenever I saw them out on the course.

I love the Vineman swim course - it reminds me of growing up going to the river in the summers when I was young. The water was calm and warm.

I do not wear a watch when I race, so I didn't know my swim split (29:30) when I came out of the water. However, my arms were still aching when I started riding, so I figured I would take that to be a good sign that I swam hard.

The bike course is beautiful. Vineyards, some rollers, and a day that would turn downright hot, but fairly wind-free. The Kestrel seemed right at home on my new Zipp disc. I had not done much practice on the disc (I know, you're not supposed to try new things on race day, but somehow my busy schedule didn't allow for disc practice . . .) but it was FAST, and FUN!!

One of my bets had been with Ian - whoever made it to mile 19 on the bike first won. At mile 16 I realized I better step it up to ensure I did not lose. Seriously - if you need some motivation at your next race just bet with a bunch of friends. Oh - and I won, I won!

I actually did not think I was having a very good bike split while racing. My heart rate seemed low in the middle of the race and although my legs felt fine something just seemed a bit off. But apparently the bike really is fast, and coming in for a 2:32 bike split made me smile.

Going into this race I was more concerned with my own personal goals than the other girls I would race against. I knew Meredith and Kathleen would both be there and figured I would be racing for 3rd, as they are both super fast girls, who both tend to out-swim and out-bike me.

The run was hot, and fun, and hard. I knew if I could lay down a solid run I would most likely reach my final goal of breaking into the 4:30s. On the final 5k I ran with Chris (who I later found out lives near me) and we worked together. I would start to slip back and then grab back on. He would start to fall away, then grab back on. It was awesome to be able to push each other.

I ended up 2nd amateur with a time of 4:35:09. Kevin PRd with a time of 4:23, and Ian nailed his estimated time (a different bet) of 4:12. I find myself extremely lucky to be able to train with such nice and talented guys. They are my heros and I was almost more excited for Kevin's PR than for my own because I know how hard he has trained this season.

Jeffrey really enjoyed the race. Except for the part where his legs turned evil on him and started cramping. He finished and still set a PR.

Beggy and Steven were our amazing support / photography crew. Every time I came through transition Becky was yelling "GO CHA BOOM BOOM!" and making me laugh.

In another of our bets Sean and I were estimated to finish at exactly the same time (we started in different waves). Our plan was to skip across the line together. I never saw Sean on the run and was hoping he had blown me away with an ultra-fast time. Unfortunately his derailer broke and he had to spend over an hour getting it fixed. He by far wins the best-attitude-ever award. After getting his bike fixed he went on to finish the bike and smoke the run.

I can't say enough how fun my friends make this sport. I was happy to be able to meet both Meredith and Kathleen after the race. They both inspire me - as we all work full time, have families, etc., and then push each other on race day. We finished 1-2-3 amateurs and 1-2-3 in our age group. At awards the announcer said to us "Ladies, you know there is money to be made on the pro circuit."

29 comments:

Beth said...

Awesome, awesome race!! It's great to hear you achieved your goals and had so much fun in the mean time. That's what it's all about - even at the highest levels! Congrats!

Shan said...

All I can say is WOW. You are SO inspirational!!!! Congrats on reaching your goals, and have a smile on your face during it all!

t-odd said...

That was an awesome race. Don't you love it when it feels wrong and is unbelievably fast. Great job!

Teresa said...

Way to go out there! Love the bets and congrats on reaching more of your goals. Love your outfit too :)
tnt

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on an awesome race!!! Gotta love racing with friends - they are a huge inspiration and being a part of their journey makes or own journey all the better!!

Running and living said...

Congrats! You worked hard and played hard, all in the company of great friends! Perfect! Ana-Maria

Meg Runs said...

Yipee! Sounds like you had a BLAST!

Becky is an excellent cheerleader, you were lucky to have her along!

Molly said...

Congratulations on such a great race on a seriously brutally hot day!!!

D10 said...

Congratulations on a great race! You look like you were having so much fun in the pictures.

Cy said...

I'm so happy for you, and congrats on busting down a few more goals. Going into a competitive race focused on your own performance objectives is a sure way to surprise yourself and move a few more steps up the podium. You did it :-)

Roo said...

Yay! Congrats on another good one!

Jennifer Harrison said...

WOW !!! Another great race, GOOD FOR YOU! Keep up the good work! :)))

Hooterville Mayor said...

Way to go "Cha BoomBoom", you are quite the athlete!!!

D said...

You are sooooo friggin awesome! SO AWESOME! I don't even know what else to say.
Congratulations on your last 70.3 of the year. A true success.
CAN NOT WAIT to see you in Kona!

Kiet said...

You and your crew are scary, think I would refrain from calling myself a triathlete if I was hanging out with you. I still think the Vineman awards are the best, I still have mine from when I was 20!

Kerri said...

Yeah! What makes you even more awesome is how quickly you provide us with your race report, thank you!! :-) Congrats!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

CONGRATS!

So happy for you and Kevin (and Ian too!) Love the photo of the three of you holding each other up :-)

Great photos Steven!

Maggs said...

Congrats on another great race. Can't wait to see what you do at Kona.

ADC said...

Wow, wow, wow. Great race and well done in achieving those goals.

FLATOUT JIM said...

Holy Crap, I am wayyyy too slow to hang with you guys.

Your friends and you are the ones that have a shower, eat all the pizza, and drink all the beer before I finish.

Good job. Are you going to Clearwater?

Snakebite said...

Good job! Congrats!

Kim said...

What a race! What a day out there - you did amazing and you're peppy upbeat attitude inspires me and I love the idea of just going with your own goals and seeing where it takes you. I think I'm going to do the same at Steelhead. You really do rock my friend - it was great seeing you at BSLT! Hopefully we'll bump into each other again sometime!

solarpowered said...

a.w.e.s.o.m.e.!!! Great racing, love the inside bets for motivation. Congratulations!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Wonderful! Great job out there! Congratulations on accomplishing your goals - if anyone deserves it YOU DO! Can't wait to hear all the details :) Next up - The Big One :) YEA!

jameson said...

congrats on an awesome race! you were flying out there.

Ordinarylife said...

wow - well done!!

Rebecca DeWire said...

Wow, you are awesome. I also think it is super cool that you don't wear a watch when racing. I might start doing that.

rocketpants said...

What a great race for you!! Glad you had such a great day for such a HOT day! I saw you and Steven in transition before the race and was trying to come over to say hi, but i was in the middle of a conversation so by the time I was done, you were gone. Saw you coming back in on the run as I was headed out around mile 3-4ish.Looked like you were having a great race. :-)

track_star said...

Nice Race report and congrats on your time/place. Even though I don't compete in Tri's (weak swimming, life long runner), I love reading about them. What a good looking crew in the final group photo!