Monday, June 1, 2009

Fun Weekend and a Marathon

Ian came down for the weekend to train with me. I love long training weekends and this one was one of the best I can remember. 5:45am Saturday ride starts should be banned at some point, but they seem to work well for getting home 115 miles later with time and daylight remaining.

The guys dropped Caroline, Marit and I pretty quickly, but we had a great time riding hard and trying to avoid a couple nasty swarms of grasshoppers.

This is the only shot of Ian I got all weekend. I am blaming all the sweat on the camera for the blurriness. If you were not already aware, Ian is a rockstar. Flat out, plain and simple there is no other way to put it. He hammered the Henshaw loop Saturday and then got up at 4:15am Sunday morning to go down to the marathon and run the final 20 miles with me. In fact I had so much fun running with him that I made him promise to pace me someday when I try to break 3 hours.

The marathon was fun. I ran into my friend Megan and her husband before the race and we hung out a bit before the gun went off. I had no plan except to to stick my heart rate where it would be for a training run and leave it there the whole time. No checking splits, no worrying about times, etc. Ian hopped in at mile six and we clipped off miles and had a blast. At mile 20 some kids were handing out Otter Pops. Best race food EVER!!

At mile 24 I looked at a race clock, did some elementary math and realized we were going to come in really close to my PR. Ian had known my PR as well. We never talked about trying to hit it, but I picked up the pace just a tad and there was some sort of telepathy between us because he knew exactly what was going on. I passed mile 26 in 3:09 and laughed because I knew I wouldn't break my PR with the remaining 0.2 miles. I finished in 3:10:31, 5 seconds shy of my PR. I could not be happier with the result.

I'll post some pics of Ian and I racing later, but I'm going to leave you with a shot of my friend Big Dave. He also falls into the rock star classification, but not only because of his outfit. I think he might have had the fastest "Elvis" finishing time as well. A big congrats also to Jeffrey for breaking 3 and Becky for an awesome PR!

24 comments:

D said...

It'd be really easy to hate you if you weren't so awesome. Nice run, stud!

Running and living said...

You are just amazing. You bike 100+miles and then run a 3:10 marathon. How does one do that? And I absolutely agree with D!
Awesome job!
Ana-Maria

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I so agree! YOU are the rock star. You inspire me to go faster and farther every day! Thanks for sharing your wonderful weekend.

Lauren Harrison said...

Way to kill a marathon on tired legs! You are SO STRONG!!!

t-odd said...

Next week I will qualify for the Boston Marathon on a "training run" as well. (Not really.) Great work! So, what is your training heart rate - 90 BPM? Love the HUGE smile on you in Roo's picture. Marathons are fun!

IAN said...

I agree with Kathleen. YOU are the Rock Star! Athlete, host, cook, etc... Awesome weekend. Otter Pops RULE!!

Mama Simmons said...

WOW! 3:10 on a training day!? I can't tell you how jealous I am. :)

ADC said...

Can I borrow your 3:10? I am sure you can get another one ;) Sounds like a real fun weekend.

GoBigGreen said...

Holy Cats! That is one good training weekend!
I need to send some Nut goodies and Salted Nut rolls in your next cat 6 package.
You go Girl!!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Well, I'd like to add - that as one of your training partners, I KNOW how much of a stud you are. Way to go on the marathon - I was SUPER IMPRESSED with your splits - EVEN the entire way. Your marathon-metronome is stellar! Now... enjoy the recovery and time for some SPEED WORK! hee hee hee! YEA!!!

Meg Runs said...

You did an AWESOME job at the marathon...just a sweet little training run! Didn't you love the chocolate milk at the end? I was hoping you really had tucked your camera into your shorts and taken pictures of the TEAM IN TRAINING GIRLS(oops, I mean guys)! Weren't they funny?!?
Thanks for always inspiring!

Haley Cooper said...

Great job Charisa! I especially like the Otter Pop comment. Some friends and I have been trying to get Otter Pops to sponsor a local sprint tri - it would rock! I'm pretty sure you're doing Cd'A, and you should give me a shout when you get to town. We're planning a fun bbq on Monday. Eli at Zoot has my contact info.

kera said...

I REALLY WANT TO LEAVE NASTY WORDS here tonight but you WAY to sweet and so I'll just say congrats and your freakin' awesome!!!! Sounds like you had a fun weekend! Wish I could get that time with just having fun!

Beth said...

Congrats again Charisa!! Simply amazing that you just about tied your marathon PR the day after riding 115 miles! I'd say that marathon PR is going down soon. :) Happy recovery. You have to be so excited and so ready to race!!

rocketpants said...

Yea, consider that PR as good as gone. Out for an 'easy stroll' in 3:10??!! Nice work!

Kiet said...

All I can say is...YOU ARE FREAKIN FIT! And MENTALLY TOUGH! Once again, unbeknownst to you, you were giving me advice out on my ride. Uh...you do know that you're just an amateur and you have to combine training with work, correct?

Alaskan Assassin said...

I knew you were a strong athlete but my respect for your fitness has just hit a new level. Congrats.

Kerri said...

Not only are you an outstanding athlete, your attitude just plain rocks! You're super coolio! :-) Congrats on an incredible weekend of hardcore training! :-)

Cy said...

Wow-Amazing training weekend. To come that close to a PR without even trying AND after the monster ride is AWESOME. You are having a stellar year so far,and its only going to get better from here. Stay healthy and keep up the great work.

Kim said...

Holy Poop..I say it again.. Holy poop!! Wow! That is just amazing you pulled that off after a 115 mile ride the day before. That is just really impressive and you seemed to so enjoy it. Great job!!

Bob Almighty said...

3:10 marathon...man that's my boston qualifying time exceelent especailly for a training race.

On dave's time 2:47 in a long sleeve elvis costume is flying.

solarpowered said...

Good god. What an amazing weekend for you! I can't seem to break the 4 hour mark in the marathon -- and I can't even imagine running almost an hour faster than my PR after biking 115 miles. Hell, I can't imagine biking 115 miles, period.
You're the rockstar. Awesome!

Ordinarylife said...

What D said!

Jennifer Harrison said...

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!! Man, I am rarely speechless, but I AM! Congrats!