Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Single Speed Adventures

I took Vincenzo to the pool yesterday. He doesn't know how to swim yet, so he enjoyed being ogled by other swimmers while he waited patiently. I am giving myself a few weeks to get used to single speed before I flip the wheel and go full fixie. I was afraid I might not make it up the hill by the pool so I threw my clipless pedals on the bike. I do not regret this at all - way more fun! My gearing is 17/44, for those of you interested. So far I think it is just about right for me and the hills I ride on my commute.

On this morning's bike commute I was grinning from ear to ear after making it up the even steeper hill by my office with my super heavy bag on my back! A motorcycle pulled up next to me and said "Hey - that is a SWEET bike!" Ahhhhh yes, and just as I was reveling in how wonderful everything was, pssshhhhhh, pshhhhhhh, pssshhhhhh.

Massive piece of evil metal in my tire!


And fixed gear bikes do not have quick-release wheels. Today the meat wagon came to pick me up since I did not have time to heal Vincenzo's wounds before work. . . thanks Barbara!!

I am currently painting some zip ties lime green (multiple uses for nail polish!) to secure my rear brake cable. And I know - real fixies don't have brakes. I'm not quite there yet though!!

15 comments:

Lauren Harrison said...

That is the coolest bike I have ever seen. I SO need an excuse to copy you and get a bike like that!!!

IAN said...

U R hilarious! And I am still going to try & talk u out of the fixie

Bandobras said...

Go fixie if you like it's great training on smoothing out your pedaling but keep the brakes if your riding in traffic.
Style isn't a good reason for giving up the safety advantage

D said...

Using good nail polish too. All class!

Running and living said...

I love th bike! And great use for the nail polish - cool colour! Ana-Maria

t-odd said...

It's like deja vu. That is one wicked piece of metal. (My word verification is "bosorgy" - What kind of orgy is that?)

rocketpants said...

Brakes are a good idea in traffic and hilly situations on a fixed gear. Also helps you keep the knees and not have to skid stop and run through your tires quickly.

Bummer about the first outing only to encounter some gnarly piece of metal.

Kiet said...

I second what rocketpants wrote Charisa. Be content with a single speed and brakes, it won't jeopardize your racing season. And you don't have just any old fixed gear bike, you have a way cool looking one. And remember, no riding with your hands oh so close together.

Teresa said...

I would freak climbing on single gear. Glad you made it successfully. If you ever need more nail polish colors let me know...I think I own stock in Elle and OPI. Your bike looks fantastic and you are improving so much.

tn.

Maggs said...

Sweet bike!

Bob Almighty said...

Bike color definitely matches personaility :)

Roo said...

When you're done painting the zip ties maybe we should paint our toenails!

Keep the brakes!

Haley Cooper said...

Ever since taking some Velodrome classes in San Diego, I've been obsessed with scoring a fixie. A friend recently picked up this one:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/09-catalog/urban-alternative/fixie-series/09-curbside.aspx#

and I've been drooling over it. Vincenzo is pretty cool too though!

Snakebite said...

Nice! Put some Schwalbe Marathons on it for PUNKture avoidance.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bummer about the flat tire :-(

Love your use of OPI polish though!