Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fortune

This came with my lunch today. SWEET - sounds good! I tend to believe we make our own fortunes. Sometimes life is awesome and sometimes it is completely unfair. I think it's mostly how we choose to deal with whatever life dishes out that matters more.

This week I get a "mini-break" from my crazy training. I am not calling it a rest week because I really only get three days of easiness, followed by what has become a regular hefty training-filled weekend.

Ian is coming to drag me around the Henshaw loop Saturday on our bikes. He does not think the "drag me around" part is true since he doesn't yet know the route, but I'm pretty sure he will be a little spec on the horizon in my eyes.


Last week I decided to enter the Rock n Roll marathon which takes place Sunday. Kind of a last minute "this will be fun for training" sort of thing. I have been running long on the weekends and after getting bored of my route and relistening to every song on my ipod too many times I decided, why not just enter the race? So this will be the first marathon I have ever entered only 8 days before the race, on non-fresh legs, without tapering. I am going to call it good practice. Or maybe it will make for a really funny blog post when it is all said and done! And I know, it is a bit crazy. But really, isn't all of triathlon and endurance sport a bit crazy?!

17 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

Sure... use the marathon as a catered training day, with entertainment! Doesn't get much better than that for a long run! Of course, that's REALLY long.

Teresa said...

Good luck on the marathon, it will be a great change of pace. Have a ton of fun with it... I am sure you will!
Train on!

Running and living said...

I'd listen to the fortune. I, too, predict not only lots of fun but also a great finish time! Ana-Maria

solarpowered said...

Sweet! Have fun with the race!

t-odd said...

I could not do a marathon on such short notice - because I would fricking race the thing. It would never be a training run. If I am wearing a number I am racing. But this isn't about me - you have a good time on your little marathon while I run my marathon on the same day - we'll compare notes.

rocketpants said...

Great fortune! AT least with the marathon you will have new music every mile...right? Enjoy.

ADC said...

Ha ha but being competitive as we silly people are, is this marathon really just going to be good training. I predict some great times :))

Kim said...

Good luck, have fun and just enjoy it! You'll be rocking and rolling for 26.2 miles!! Go!! Go!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Well then, we can BOTH enjoy watching Ian peddle into the distance on Saturday's ride :) I think the marathon will be great for you - I really do. After chatting last weekend, I KNOW it will be a good thing for you... there are only so many 3-hour runs you can do without getting super bored. Good call on the "run" (NOT race!). Training run :)

D said...

I'm not sure if we've reached this point in our relationship, but I'm gonna say it anyways... you're a dumbass. Of course, I say that with love! ;P

And how is that you AND Marit are both meeting and training with Ian before I've even met him? This is crap.

Bob Almighty said...

I've always wanted to do that race...Hope it's a blast.

Beth said...

Have fun at the marathon!! That's kind of exciting - it will be a good long training day where you don't have to carry all your nutrition/fluid with you! :) Can't wait to hear about it!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a great plan Charisa! I hear that's a pretty fun marathon and you're right...it'll be a nice way to mix up your training. Have fun!

IAN said...

I am excited. And with you on the gleaming new Kestrel, I am pretty sure I will be within reach all day. At least I hope I am. I guess I can rely on Jonathan to loop back and get me.

This marathon should be fun. I have a feeling I am going to learn alot about myself this weekend.

Christine Dammann said...

You have the greatest attitude Charisa!!

I'm going to try to make it to the race route sometime on Sunday. I'll probably be at mile 2 since it's closer to my house. I'll be on the look out for you! have fun out there!!

t-odd said...

You sure that was a training run? 3:10 - nice run. Our race was "different."

Eileen Swanson said...

LOVE this fortune....your dreams are already coming true ;-))