Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Breathe

This morning at masters swimming we did breathing drills. Breathe every four strokes, every six, etc. Then we played the phone number game. We did 7 x 100m with each of the 100s being a digit of your phone number for the strokes you must take before you can breathe. We quickly figured out who had the phone number with the lowest numbers in it (so we could breathe more).

For example, if someone's phone number has 9 in it - for that 100 you can only breathe every 9th stroke. (Ummmm, not going to happen!)

Our highest number was six. And I thought I might drowned.

After the phone number game we swam 5 x 200m breathing every fifth stroke. This worked well until I started to fall off the feet in front of me. Then I kicked harder, which takes more oxygen and I was sure I was going to sink to the bottom and die.

Part way through the workout though I realized I was actually gliding. Breathing less forced me to slow down, which in turn allowed me to glide! This works better than my typical arms flailing wildly to try to keep from getting dropped tactics.

11 comments:

t-odd said...

Mmmm - hypoxic breathing - I like the phone number game. I have not heard of that one. Thank goodness no one had a number with a bunch of nines - or ZEROs.

Kim said...

Oh I hate those, and love them, but mostly hate them! I always feel like I am going to die even though all I have to do is turn my head to the side and take a breath- problem solved.

D said...

That picture's from an outdoor pool, isn't it? boooooooooooo
You should only be allowed to breathe every 10th stroke if you're in an outdoor pool.

Teresa said...

Those breathing drills make a huge difference. I usually break it up with 3/5/7 per length, put I am making the swim group do this telephone thing soon, what a way to mix it up! Great work on feeling the "glide".

Maggs said...

Wow, I'm jus thinking of my phone # and it would hurt. I did a 500 of 3, 5, 7 last week. It hurt. Did you have a 1? Did you breathe every stroke. That's hard too.

Beth said...

Hypoxic drills make me feel like I'm going to die too! I'm a big kicker so I'm thinking that's no good... :) My phone number would stink for that game too - LOTS of 9's in it! :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Sounds like a GREAT workout!!! I need to show up more to the Tues/Thurs workouts... :) Way to go with the gliding thing! That's fantastic!

ADC said...

Breathing is so not my thing. And my phone number would definitely suck!

Ordinarylife said...

I am never playing that game - I have 5 "8"'s in my number!

Shan said...

ohhh hypoxic goodness - it's usually easier to do when you're pulling...sounds really tough, but great!

rocketpants said...

Not a fan of going hypoxic in the water. Never have enjoyed it...but sounds like it turned out well and you learned a little bit more of swimming and gliding.