Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Life and Worms

Life isn't always fair. Herrad lives in the Netherlands. She has MS. I can't say I really understand what this is like, besides reading some of her blog posts. I can only imagine that it might completely suck at times.

I had a bike workout today that I was not exactly crazy about doing. I also had a choice as to whether or not I wanted to do it. I feel lucky to have this choice. I chose to go out and ride. I thought about Herrad as I was riding up some of the hills and it was interesting - I hit my heart rate zones and didn't really notice my legs hurting.

I forgot to bring my Shot Bloks for the ride. Thankfully, gummy worms work just as well. I recommend taking 2-3 after each hill repeat. Wash them down with water. Unfortunately, I did not bring quite enough to have 2-3 after each hill. At one point I dropped one and I'm proud to say that with limited worms in my pocket, I actually went back and got it, brushed it off, and ate it. I think it was within those "5 seconds."

If you have a free moment after your ride, run, swim, whatever-you-have-going-on today stop by Herrad's blog and leave an encouraging note. I'm sure she would appreciate it.

14 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

That's awesome about the gummy worms. I used to eat gummy bears while riding and I loved them! And no worries about picking it up off the ground to eat. I think we've all done it. I picked up abandoned salt tabs off the ground at Ironman last year bc I was out and thought I needed more. It's amazing how much people drop on the ground while racing!

Chloe said...

YUM. I love gummy worms. I got excited when I saw the picture. So excited that I might have to stop by the store on the way home! Forget chocolate - I'd rather have a handfull of gummy worms any day. And there is no shame in picking stuff off the ground :)

Thanks for the link - I will check out Harrad's blog after my ride tonight.

Maggs said...

My 7th grade English teacher had MS. What an amazing woman she was. I bonked so hard on my hilly ride yesterday I couldn't remember riding one hill. If there had been a live worm (or dead) on the ground I would have eaten it.

Beth said...

Thanks for the link to Herrad's blog. Quite eye-opening. I have had the same experience as you w/training though -- when you are just appreciative for the fact that you alive and well enough to train, it often makes the training session soooo much better!

snowygrl said...

I used to coach/teach skiing and I always had a pocket full of gummy worms for the kids(myself) when they got tired. I still prefer them cold :)

cat. said...

i think you're awesome.

[and i used to eat gummy bears while running]

yum!

p.s. my word verification for this comment is "fishissy".

Natalie said...

I'm always amazed at how someone's suffering can have such a profound effect on our own choices and attitudes.

I hold Jon Blais up as my hero - as ALS is a very difficult subject in my family (I wrote about it on the 17th). When we choose to open up our eyes and our hearts, others can become our biggest motivation to make the most of what we have.

rocketpants said...

Appreciating what one does have with their health does amazingly push one through their workout even better. I had a really hard run a few weeks ago because everything was cramping and when I just started being thankful for being able to run and listing everything else I was thankful for my focus became so much easier and the pain went away.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Evan said...

Gummy worms are great!

My all time favorite is dark chocolate. I could suck on those all day while out on the trails.

I will also check out her blog. It sounds very inspirational.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Super secret training food! Now I can get faster :-)

FLATOUT JIM said...

Gummy Worms with a little bit of ashfault for added fibre. MMM good.

I am going to check Herrads site. Sometimes all the inspiration you need to get off your butt is the fact that you can.

Ordinarylife said...

Mmm, gummy worms....

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Next bike ride, I'm totally bringing swedish fish. Enough to share with everyone! :) Nice job on the hill repeats - GOOD LUCK TODAY! I'll be thinking about you!

Hey - I had a blast on the siwm this morning, very fun! The best part?? The sculling and drills at the end :)

Thanks for the blog link...

Teresa said...

Sugar...its all the same right! I love that you picked it off the ground too...very valuable calories when you are climbing!

Way to continue to inspire and realize that we are blessed to make our choices each day. So easy to forget sometimes:)